hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Equol!!!!!!Please read.....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/02/2004 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/02/2004 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Grey Ghost
Regular Poster

Guys,
I have been researching this Equol avenue and I do not understand why the crew here hasn't looked more deeply into this avenue. I know that only 30% of our population produces this stuff but hey GOD created it not man. My understanding of Equol is it is made from this exact Isoflavone which is daidzein. As you well know Equol is made in our gut for which we know only 30% of us can produce this. We can buy Equol from here http://www.lclabs.com/PRODFILE/D-F/E-5880.php4 and as you can see it is soluble in DMSO which is our delivery agent. So guys we can make the absolute best DHT inhibitor topical known to man and why aren't we doing it! Lets discuss the good with the bad if any. Oh by the way Merck is buying shit loads of this Equol substance....I wonder why? As Larry the cable guy would say "Get er done!" I am not scared of Equol just because it was invented by God. I have not called the above lab so I do not know if we can even obtain it but we can damn well try!

Grey Ghost out!
 06/02/2004 02:28 PM

Author Icon
marco
Accomplished Poster

GG.....I remember when this was a hot topic someone mentioned either the price was to high or the Equol wasnt good for human use. I could be wrong. I do agree with you we should continue this thread because it does offer a very big benefit to all of us
 06/02/2004 04:00 PM

Author Icon
sdm777
Prolific Poster

Lipoxidil is about to release a phytoestrogen in the next couple of days, Genistein / Daidzein solution.

Edited: 06/02/2004 at 04:00 PM by sdm777
 06/03/2004 07:46 AM

Author Icon
Grey Ghost
Regular Poster

Their new solution will not help. Daidzein has to be turned into Equol before it will bind with DHT making the DHT unharmfull to our hair follicles. Mark my words guys Equol and a delivery system will be our cure for MPB.

Grey Ghost
 06/03/2004 07:51 AM

Author Icon
zimmy
Accomplished Poster

Oz brew plus equol may be quite interesting. Any guinea pigs?
 06/03/2004 09:19 AM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

I'm game. But how do you get your body to create equol?
 06/03/2004 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Grey Ghost
Regular Poster

It is sad but only 30% of our human population can make Equol within our gut. So we would have to aquire Equol in powder form from a Lab. The good thing is it is totally soluable in DMSO : ). So long story short due to us loosing our hair we do not create Equol within our bodies because if we did we would not be bald or balding. We can get it from here http://www.lclabs.com/PRODFILE/D-F/E-5880.php4 and they will be coming out with a better product extracted from Human urine other than Horse urine which is what it is made from now. Well if you own a horse just have the Horse piss on your head them apply the DMSO and walah in no time you will have a afro like Farrell.

Grey Ghost
 06/03/2004 10:34 AM

Author Icon
sdm777
Prolific Poster

grey ghost, there are many things that can render DHT inactive in the follicle... What makes you think equol is the magic bullet???? Curious to why your so optimistic on this substance...

Edited: 06/03/2004 at 10:37 AM by sdm777
 06/03/2004 12:01 PM

Author Icon
Grey Ghost
Regular Poster

SDM,
I do believe that Proscar nor Propecia can stop DHT from binding to the hair follicle receptor sites. I think that Proscar and Propecia lower DHT levels in the body and that is their only purpose. Equol on the other hand does not lower DHT levels all it does is totally halts DHT from binding to follicle receptor sites. Another great thing about this stuff is that it doesn't mess with our hormons but does a greater job than any other substance to keep DHT from our follicles. These are just my opinions and what I find so very intersting is I ran across some good reading and found out that Merck is buying Equol for testing. Just my two cents........

Grey Ghost
 06/03/2004 12:28 PM

Author Icon
marco
Accomplished Poster

Guys GG is correct.....Equol is the very best thing with regards to DHT and hair loss. Regarding Lipoxidil I really think this company is full of Sh-t every time something comes out be it on the news or in these forums they produce a product like a week later. I really think they make money based only on the current hype. Prove me wrong but has anyone ever had any good results from any of thier products. I've been on these forums for about 2 years now and never has anyone said anything positive about Lipoxidil products. It would be nice for someone to actually have the products checked for Quality and Substance.

Edited: 06/03/2004 at 12:29 PM by marco
 06/03/2004 12:37 PM

Author Icon
jairzinho
Accomplished Poster

I'm more of a Sweet 'n Low guy myself.
 06/03/2004 12:44 PM

Author Icon
shanman
Prolific Poster

I just read that Soy also contains beta sitosterol which is supposed to also be helpful with blocking DHT. Soy is starting to sound like a good addition to the regimen more and more.
 06/03/2004 01:31 PM

Author Icon
zimmy
Accomplished Poster

Just curious but has anyone tried taking Equol tablets? I was considering about buying some awhile ago.

So Merck is buying some Equol for testing? Very interesting, I wonder what they have up there sleeves? Surely its about time they get on with producing Propecia Mark Deux, something better without the side effects.
 06/03/2004 01:31 PM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

I do believe that Proscar nor Propecia can stop DHT from binding to the hair follicle receptor sites. I think that Proscar and Propecia lower DHT levels in the body and that is their only purpose. Equol on the other hand does not lower DHT levels all it does is totally halts DHT from binding to follicle receptor sites.

I can see you're terribly enthusiastic about this "new" substance, but I think you should be more cautious. We don't know yet how well it will work for androgen-related problems, including hairloss.

Another great thing about this stuff is that it doesn't mess with our hormons but does a greater job than any other substance to keep DHT from our follicles.

We have no way of knowing yet if it's "greater than any other substance". BTW, if it binds DHT directly, then it sure as heck DOES mess with our hormones!!

Bryan
 06/03/2004 02:38 PM

Author Icon
rastafarianrobot
Accomplished Poster

All you need to know about Equol

In vitro incubation of human feces with daidzein and antibiotics suggests interindividual differences in the bacteria responsible for equol production.

Atkinson C, Berman S, Humbert O, Lampe JW.

Cancer Prevention Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA.

Daidzein can be metabolized to equol, dihydrodaidzein (DHD), and O-desmethylangolensin (ODMA) by intestinal bacteria. Only one third to one half of individuals produce equol, and evidence exists to support potential cancer-protective effects of equol production. We investigated the in vitro metabolism of daidzein by fecal bacteria and assessed the effect of several antibiotics on metabolism. Fresh or previously frozen feces from 7 equol producers and 6 nonproducers were incubated with daidzein, with or without antibiotics, for 5 d at 37 degrees C. With the exception of one previously frozen sample, fecal inoculates from equol producers converted daidzein to equol. Conversion occurred under anaerobic, but not aerobic conditions. Fecal inoculates from equol nonproducers did not produce equol, but some produced ODMA and DHD. Between-subject differences in the effects of antibiotics on daidzein metabolism were apparent. Some antibiotics inhibited the production of equol but had no effect on DHD production. These results suggest that several bacteria may be involved in daidzein metabolism, and that they may differ among subjects. This simple in vitro system can facilitate the study of factors influencing equol production and minimize the need for animal models or human interventions. Furthermore, these analyses can be conducted on fecal samples that have been frozen and stored.

PMID: 14988453

Higher consumption of green tea may enhance equol production.

Miyanaga N, Akaza H, Takashima N, Nagata Y, Sonoda T, Mori M, Naito S, Hirao Y, Tsukamoto T, Fujioka T.

Department of Urology, Post-graduate University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-8575, Japan. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Our previous case-control study revealed that Japanese living in Japan and Koreans living in Korea can be divided into equol producers who have an ability to metabolize daidzein to equol and non-producers, and that the incidence of prostate cancer is higher in the latter group. In the present study, we examined relationships between type of food intake and the capacity for equol production in Japanese subjects. METHODS: The subjects were the individuals analyzed for the ability to produce equol in our previous study and newly registered cases. From December 2000 to December 2002, 276 hospitalized patients were interviewed face-to-face and blood samples were collected before breakfast. These included 122 patients with prostate cancer and 154 age-matched controls. RESULTS: The frequency of equol producers (0.5 ng/ml or more) among cases and controls was 29% and 45%, respectively (p = 0.004). The consumption of soybeans and green tea were significantly higher in equol producers than in the non-producers (p<0.05). By contrast, the consumption of selenium and fiber was significantly lower in equol producers (p<0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that higher consumption of soybean and green tea are strongly related to the establishment of a capacity for equol production.

PMID: 14728586

Equol is a novel anti-androgen that inhibits prostate growth and hormone feedback.

Lund TD, Munson DJ, Haldy ME, Setchell KD, Lephart ED, Handa RJ.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524, USA. [email protected]

Equol (7-hydroxy-3[4'hydroxyphenyl]-chroman) is the major metabolite of the phytoestrogen daidzein, one of the main isoflavones found abundantly in soybeans and soy foods. Equol may be an important biologically active molecule based on recent studies demonstrating that equol can modulate reproductive function. In this study, we examined the effects of equol on prostate growth and LH secretion and determined some of the mechanisms by which it might act. Administration of equol to intact male rats for 4-7 days reduced ventral prostate and epididymal weight and increased circulating LH levels. Using binding assays, we determined that equol specifically binds 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), but not testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone, or estrogen with high affinity. Equol does not bind the prostatic androgen receptor, and has a modest affinity for recombinant estrogen receptor (ER) beta, and no affinity for ERalpha. In castrated male rats treated with DHT, concomitant treatment with equol blocked DHT's trophic effects on the ventral prostate gland growth and inhibitory feedback effects on plasma LH levels without changes in circulating DHT. Therefore, equol can bind circulating DHT and sequester it from the androgen receptor, thus altering growth and physiological hormone responses that are regulated by androgens. These data suggest a novel model to explain equol's biological properties. The significance of equol's ability to specifically bind and sequester DHT from the androgen receptor have important ramifications in health and disease and may indicate a broad and important usage for equol in the treatment of androgen-mediated pathologies.

PMID: 14681200

Treatment with antibiotics reduces plasma equol concentration in cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis).

Blair RM, Appt SE, Franke AA, Clarkson TB.

Comparative Medicine Clinical Research Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA. [email protected]

To explore the importance of equol on health outcomes in future studies, it was necessary to develop a method to reduce equol production. Female monkeys (n = 22) fed a soy diet were treated twice daily with vehicle (control; n = 4), doxycycline (2.5 mg/kg; n = 4), metronidazole (125 mg/d; n = 3), kanamycin (1000 mg/d; n = 4), vancomycin (100 mg/d; n = 3) or kanamycin+vancomycin (n = 4). Plasma samples were collected 4 h postfeeding at baseline, after 4 wk of treatment and 8 wk after the end of treatment and analyzed for isoflavonoid concentrations. Fecal swabs were collected at baseline and at the end of antibiotic treatment for analysis of Gram(+) and Gram(-) bacterial growth. Equol concentrations were reduced (P < 0.05) compared with baseline by 80, 93, 98 and 99% after treatment with metronidazole (955 +/- 164 vs. 193 +/- 53 nmol/L), kanamycin (545 +/- 211 vs. 37.1 +/- 17.6 nmol/L), vancomycin (607 +/- 163 vs. 8.9 +/- 8.2 nmol/L) and kanamycin+vancomycin (721 +/- 169 vs. 17.4 +/- 17.3 nmol/L), respectively. Daidzein concentrations were increased (P < 0.05) compared with baseline by treatment with doxycycline (336 +/- 87 vs. 576 +/- 76 nmol/L), kanamycin (168 +/- 67 vs. 374 +/- 15 nmol/L), and kanamycin+vancomycin (166 +/- 35 vs. 384 +/- 78 nmol/L). Similar increases (P < 0.05) in dihydrodaidzein were observed after treatment with kanamycin (31.2 +/- 6.2 vs. 479 +/- 188 nmol/L) and metronidazole (56.0 +/- 27.9 vs. 414 +/- 212 nmol/L). Isoflavonoid concentrations returned to baseline values after antibiotic treatment was terminated. Gram(+) bacterial growth was reduced by all treatments, including Control, compared with baseline. In conclusion, treatment with antibiotics resulted in a marked reduction in plasma equol concentrations and altered plasma isoflavonoid patterns in cynomolgus monkeys.

PMID: 12840190

The phytoestrogen equol increases nitric oxide availability by inhibiting superoxide production: an antioxidant mechanism for cell-mediated LDL modification.

Hwang J, Wang J, Morazzoni P, Hodis HN, Sevanian A.

School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA. [email protected]

Estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is reported to lower the incidence of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women. ERT also lowers the levels of oxidatively modified low-density lipoprotein (LDL). Because modified LDL can mediate the development of atherosclerosis by inflammatory processes, ERT may exert its LDL protective effect through enhanced antioxidant activity in vascular tissues. Plant sources of estrogenic compounds have been used as alternatives for ERT because they avoid a number of negative health effects produced by estrogen. In this study, the antioxidant properties of the soy isoflavone metabolite, equol (an estrogenic metabolite of daidzein) were studied. Equol has a greater antioxidant activity than the parent isoflavone compounds genistein and daidzein, found in high concentration in soy. Equol inhibits LDL oxidation in vitro and LDL oxidative modification by J774 monocyte/macrophages to LDL(-), an electronegative modified LDL found in human plasma. An antioxidant effect of equol was found to be mediated by inhibition of superoxide radical (O(2)(-*)) production and manifested through enhanced levels of free nitric oxide (NO) that prevents LDL modification. Thus, when NO levels were increased by donor agents, generators, or compounds that facilitate nitric oxide synthase activity, LDL(-) formation by J774 cells was strongly inhibited. Conversely, inhibition of NO production enhanced LDL(-) formation, and the combination of reduced NO and increased O(2)(-*) production yielded maximum LDL(-) formation. Pretreatment of cells with equol inhibited production of O(2)(-*) by J774 cells apparently via the inactivation of the reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase complex. Decreased O(2)(-*) production resulted in increased free NO levels (but not total NO production) indicating that decreased reactions between O(2)(-*) and NO are an outcome of equol's antioxidant activity in cell culture.

PMID: 12726915

The clinical importance of the metabolite equol-a clue to the effectiveness of soy and its isoflavones.

Setchell KD, Brown NM, Lydeking-Olsen E.

Clinical Mass Spectrometry, Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, OH 45229, USA. [email protected]

Equol [7-hydroxy-3-(4'-hydroxyphenyl)-chroman] is a nonsteroidal estrogen of the isoflavone class. It is exclusively a product of intestinal bacterial metabolism of dietary isoflavones and it possesses estrogenic activity, having affinity for both estrogen receptors, ERalpha and ERbeta. Equol is superior to all other isoflavones in its antioxidant activity. It is the end product of the biotransformation of the phytoestrogen daidzein, one of the two main isoflavones found in abundance in soybeans and most soy foods. Once formed, it is relatively stable; however, equol is not produced in all healthy adults in response to dietary challenge with soy or daidzein. Several recent dietary intervention studies examining the health effects of soy isoflavones allude to the potential importance of equol by establishing that maximal clinical responses to soy protein diets are observed in people who are good "equol-producers." It is now apparent that there are two distinct subpopulations of people and that "bacterio-typing" individuals for their ability to make equol may hold the clue to the effectiveness of soy protein diets in the treatment or prevention of hormone-dependent conditions. In reviewing the history of equol, its biological properties, factors influencing its formation and clinical data, we propose a new paradigm. The clinical effectiveness of soy protein in cardiovascular, bone and menopausal health may be a function of the ability to biotransform soy isoflavones to the more potent estrogenic isoflavone, equol. The failure to distinguish those subjects who are "equol-producers" from "nonequol producers" in previous clinical studies could plausibly explain the variance in reported data on the health benefits of soy.

06/03/2004 02:42 PM

Author Icon
rastafarianrobot
Accomplished Poster

In a nutshell, if you are serious about reeping the benefits of Soy and more importantly equol:

1). Stay healthy and avoid taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary

2). drink copious amounts of green tea

3). Take a good probiotic supplement (kefir and yogurt too) to increase the chances you have the proper microflora to covert daidzein to equol in your gut...
 06/03/2004 02:48 PM

Author Icon
rastafarianrobot
Accomplished Poster

Comparisons of percent equol producers between prostate cancer patients and controls: case-controlled studies of isoflavones in Japanese, Korean and American residents.

Akaza H, Miyanaga N, Takashima N, Naito S, Hirao Y, Tsukamoto T, Fujioka T, Mori M, Kim WJ, Song JM, Pantuck AJ.

Department of Urology, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan.

BACKGROUND: Our previous case-control study revealed that the Japanese residents in Japan could be divided into those who are able to degrade daidzein, a soybean isoflavone, to equol and those without this ability, and that the incidence of prostate cancer is higher in the latter group. METHODS: We recently conducted a similar case-control study involving not only Japanese residents in Japan but also Korean residents in Korea. The incidence of prostate cancer in Korean residents is known to be close to that of Japanese residents in Japan. On the other hand, American residents in the United States have a markedly higher incidence of prostate cancer as compared to Japanese residents in Japan. RESULTS: The number of subjects was 295 in Japan (133 patients and 162 controls), 122 in Korea (61 patients and 61 controls) and 45 in the United States (24 patients and 21 controls). The percentage of equol producers among patients and controls was 29% and 46% in Japan (P = 0.004) and 30% and 59% in Korea (P = 0.001), respectively. The active isoflavone level was markedly lower and the percentage of equol producers was also lower (17% for patients and 14% for controls) for Americans as compared to the Japanese and Koreans. CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that the ability of producing equol or equol itself is closely related to the lower incidence of prostate cancer. The results also suggest that a diet based on soybean isoflavones will be useful in preventing prostate cancer.

PMID: 15067102
 06/03/2004 03:26 PM

Author Icon
nanotechusa
Prolific Poster

Where did you find out about Merck investing in Equol?

If this is true, this IS probably a major discovery.. Merck makes propecia.... they obviously must know something, if they are investing money into it or buying it...

ntusa
 06/03/2004 03:45 PM

Author Icon
jinx19
Accomplished Poster

Does the 30% of the population apply to ALL PEOPLE throughout the world? Or is it more the case of for instance, Asian people?? Are there any races/populations/nationalities for which the probabilty of existence of ability to produce equol would be smaller?

Edited: 06/03/2004 at 03:46 PM by jinx19
 06/03/2004 05:10 PM

Author Icon
ADogg
Accomplished Poster

umm antiandrogen therapy is only moderately effective for MPB, so why do you think this is the cure to balding? It may halt the loss of hair (a huge win) but almost certainly would not regrow anything.
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Equol!!!!!!Please read.....

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
36058 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 318 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 318 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc