hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Propecia vs proscar vs Saw palmetto
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2004 08:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2004 08:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
danalbjoe
Regular Poster

I'm just wondering which one works the best at hepling keep your hair, and at helping your hair expereince some regrowth?

i need to get on one soon!

I find it odd that saw palmetto doesnt seem to work as well as propecia or proscar, when they basically do the same thing?

02/26/2004 10:34 AM

Author Icon
redd7
Regular Poster

Saw Palmetto works fine for me. It has certainly slowed down the hair loss very much. I dont know if I would be better off with fin though cos I havent tried it. Anyway it seems that most people who use fin get resulta almost always when people on SP stand a much smaller chance of gettimg results. In my opinion its good to use SP before fin just to see if it would help.
 02/26/2004 11:39 AM

Author Icon
Element4
Accomplished Poster

Saw Palmetto and Proscar (Finasteride) DO NOT do the same thing. The main difference is that Fin lowers serum levels of DHT in the body and therefore decreases the amount of scalp DHT. Saw Palmetto does nothing to reduce serum DHT.

What SP does is it competes with DHT at receptor sites IN THE PROSTATE. It was found to lower DHT in the prostate, but not in the bloodstream. It seems to only have a localized effect. There is no proof that it competes w/ DHT at androgen receptors in the scalp.

SP may work, in theory. That is if it competes w/ DHT in the scalp as it does in the prostate. But that is not known.

Taking SP is a roll of the dice. I'd say stick w/ something that is proven to work.

The key to fighting hairloss is taking early action. You know you're losing your hair, you haven't got time to waste. Get on something that is proven to work instead of wasting time w/ something that may do nothing for your hair.

02/26/2004 12:45 PM

Author Icon
FYI
Accomplished Poster

I disagree a lot of people have had great results using Saw Palmetto. Like everything else it probably won't work for everyone. I do agree though the early you start the fight the better
 02/26/2004 07:46 PM

Author Icon
jiminy
Prolific Poster

I gotta disagree with ya, element. I've never seen any evidence that saw p.'s effects are prostate-specific. Everything I've read indicates that saw p. inhibits the activity of 5-alpha in the general bloodstream, leading to a decrease of DHT throughout the body. As well, it is also generally believed that saw p. is an excellent anti-androgen, competing for receptor sites in the prostate AND the scalp.

True, there are precious few clinical studies that have been done to prove this conclusively (and probably never will be, since there's very little profit to be made from saw p. compared to drugs like Propecia), but I've never seen anything that proves this is NOT the case, either.

I know you've had some bad times with saw p, element, but don't go ruining everybody else's expectations. Don't forget the whole point of forums like this: to try out things that haven't been clinically proven & share our results & recommendations. Even minox & fin - both clinically 'proven' to work - don't work for everybody. For somebody averse to taking fin (or can't afford to), saw p is a relatively safe, convenient & inexpensive alternative.

BTW - As mentioned elsewhere: If you decide to take Saw P, make sure it's labelled 'standardized' and take at least 320mg a day for maximum effectiveness.

Edited: 02/26/2004 at 07:52 PM by jiminy
 02/26/2004 08:28 PM

Author Icon
EricVr
Regular Poster

jiminy, would you say trying Say P is worth my while considering I just started finesteride 3 weeks ago? Or is finesteride in a whole different league?
 02/26/2004 09:28 PM

Author Icon
Element4
Accomplished Poster

I am not trying to ruin anyone's expectations, I'm just stating facts. The fact is that SP does not reduce serum DHT in the body. Proscar/Finasteride do reduce serum DHT. That is that point I'm trying to make. Here is a study that proves this:

A recent critical review in the Journal of the American Medical Association concurs with these findings that Saw Palmetto is an effective treatment of BPH, at least in the short-term (16). However, these studies have not yielded any conclusive data on how it is working. For example, ProscarĀ®, the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme inhibitor, has been shown to work. It dramatically reduces the levels of circulating DHT and levels of prostate specific antigen (PSA), a gene regulated gene DHT (2,18). In contrast, patients using Saw Palmetto have consistently displayed no reduction in the levels of DHT or PSA in serum (14,18,19).

So does that mean that SP is useless in the fight against MPB? Not necessarily. If it competes w/ DHT IN THE SCALP, then it may be worthwhile. But can you show me a study that proves that it does that?

02/26/2004 10:28 PM

Author Icon
jiminy
Prolific Poster

El - I am humbled before you. This does seem to lend some medical credence to your argument. One question, though: If Saw P has a localized effect on the prostate, can it not also have the same localized effect on the follicles in the scalp area? That is, why should we assume it might just be an anti-androgen in the scalp & not also a DHT inhibitor?

It's definitely unfortunate that some studies have obviously been done on the effectiveness of Saw P on BPH, but none have been conducted on its efficacy in treating MPB. Any takers?
 02/26/2004 10:31 PM

Author Icon
jiminy
Prolific Poster

Guess that just leaves us with amateur experimentation & anecdotal evidence..........

IMHO, to not at least try Saw P for 3-6 months is foolhardy. Scant as it is, the evidence in favor of Saw P is still stronger than 80% of the other 'treatments' available. Give it a shot, is what I say.
 02/27/2004 02:35 AM

Author Icon
Bryan
Accomplished Poster

That is, why should we assume it might just be an anti-androgen in the scalp & not also a DHT inhibitor?

HUH?? We can't even assume that it's an antiandrogen in the scalp!!

IMHO, to not at least try Saw P for 3-6 months is foolhardy.

You can't tell anything for sure from only 3-6 months' use.

Bryan
Statistics
31740 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 691 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 700 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc
Ā