hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The effect of caffeine on hair loss
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/28/2003 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/28/2003 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Element4
Accomplished Poster

As a part of my new hair loss regimen, I plan on reducing my caffeine intake significantly. Caffeine has quite a few detrimental effects related to hair loss and overall hair health.

First of all, caffeine causes blood vessels in the body to constrict, thereby reducing bloodflow. Where there is no blood, there is no life. Secondly, as caffeine passes through your bloodstream, it robs the body of B-vitamins which are essential to healthy hair.

I've also searched around the net and found several reports that regular use of caffeine containing products can elevate DHT levels in the body; obviously that is not good for hairloss.

I think that changes in diet can certainly have a positive effect on the state of one's hair. Cutting out caffeine as well as simple sugars and fatty meats will result in lowered levels of DHT in the body. It seems that fatty foods increase T levels in the body which then convert to the byproduct DHT.

Just wanted to pass along some info. that I felt was useful.
 11/28/2003 03:07 PM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I don't know what effect it has on hairloss, but I can tell you quitting it is great for your overall well being. I quit almost a year ago. I drink the very odd Coke now and then, but I used to drink coke, tea, and coffe multiple times throughout the day.

One major reason I tried to quit is because I had ongoing Prostate problems for about 2 years. I head caffiene can contribute to that. So I cut back to almost none, and I have had a reoccurance of the prostate problems yet.

There are people on here who will critisize you for relating diet to hair loss. But following a better diet/lifestyle sure as hell isn't going to HURT. While diet isn't going to cure MPB I sure believe it can help slow down the effects from my own personal experiences.
 11/28/2003 03:11 PM

Author Icon
guillermo
Accomplished Poster

Caffeine , in moderate dosage is really good for health and even at high dossage i could not see any bad effect on hairloss
 11/28/2003 03:14 PM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I don't know what effect it has on hairloss, but I can tell you quitting it is great for your overall well being. I quit almost a year ago. I drink the very odd Coke now and then, but I used to drink coke, tea, and coffe multiple times throughout the day.

One major reason I tried to quit is because I had ongoing Prostate problems for about 2 years. I head caffiene can contribute to that. So I cut back to almost none, and I have had a reoccurance of the prostate problems yet.

There are people on here who will critisize you for relating diet to hair loss. But following a better diet/lifestyle sure as hell isn't going to HURT. While diet isn't going to cure MPB I sure believe it can help slow down the effects from my own personal experiences.
 11/28/2003 08:44 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

Green tea is good for you and it contains high levels of caffeine! I think there are a lot of theories out there when it comes to hair loss and health, I guess it just comes down to whatever you want to believe to get you thru the night.
 11/28/2003 09:18 PM

Author Icon
Mullet
Occasional Poster

I'm not sure but I think green tea has minute traces of caffeine, whereas black tea or fermented tea leaves contain much higher traces of caffeine.
 11/28/2003 09:34 PM

Author Icon
Shiny Temples
Prolific Poster

Diet doesn't mean jack shit, it's all the genetics that are programmed into you. If you're programmed to lose your hair, then all of these treatments are only going to delay the inevitable. You may push it off a few precious years, but inevitably you've got a one way ticket to slap head city.

Look at the bums on the street. Most are alcoholics and drug addicts. Do you think they watch their diets and excercise and so on? Of course not, yet most of them have awesome heads of hair. Maybe the hair is a token from God to them in an otherwise miserable life...who knows.

Don't mind me, I'm usually not this cynical and bitter. I've been drinkig tonight, mostly because I'm depressed about this latest shed I'm goig through. This crap is really taking a toll on me.

11/29/2003 07:04 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I'm sorry but I think the Bum arguement people bring up on here is silly. I see just as many bald homeless people as I see ones with hair. It's no excuse to let your health go to shit. Doing something to make yourself feel better is good for treating ANY kind on condition. And again, I can tell you diet and good eating has helped me with my treatment. And that's all I need to know. So I am not going to get drawn into that discussion again.

I personally drink decaffinated green tea. But I am pretty sure even normal green tea has much less caffiene then other forms of tea. The problem with caffiene and moderation is a lot of people aren't very good at that. If you are drinking 3 or more cups of coffee in a day, which a lot of people do, that is not a moderate dose of caffiene. And a lot of the people that do that also drink caffinated soft drinks with their meals.

I have had prostate problems, and it was hell on earth. And too much caffiene can contribute to those problems. If something like that ever happens to you, you will see the downside off too much caffiene consumption.
 11/29/2003 10:25 AM

Author Icon
guillermo
Accomplished Poster

Tdu:
"I had ongoing Prostate problems for about 2 years"
Did the Finasteride help you on this ?
 11/29/2003 11:26 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

guillermo no it didn't. I had to go through some heavy runs of strong antibiotics. If it returns again, they will have to try some other type of treatment. And I don't think I even want to know what that is.
 11/29/2003 04:43 PM

Author Icon
clouds
Regular Poster

11/29/2003 05:02 PM

Author Icon
clouds
Regular Poster

Caffeine also raises your levels of stress hormones. Stress hormones are definately not good for hairloss. Interesting article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/290689.stm
 11/30/2003 02:23 AM

Author Icon
mr34
Regular Poster

TDU is right....becoming healthier may not grow your hair back or stop loss but it can't hurt.

I worked with many guys this summer that drank coffee all day everyday and had fuller heads of hair than a 12 year old.
Statistics
30808 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 868 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 874 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc