hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Extra Virgin Olive oil is working for me!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2003 10:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2003 10:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

Been on it for about 2 months now and my hair and scalp feel great. I am/was diffuse thinning all over but now my hair is growing thicker again thanx to the oil......... I use it 1x a day along w/ 5% minoxidil. I wash hair and scalp with a mild shampoo first, then I apply the olive oil directly to the scalp and rub in..... I proceed to wash myself then I go back and use a mild shampoo again and do a quick light washing once more. Then I towell dry and apply minox before bed or whatever. I also use 100% aloe vera gel now as a styling gel and it works great too. I have no more flaking, dandruff, etc.... things are lookin up!
 09/17/2003 10:54 PM

Author Icon
rammer
Accomplished Poster

could you please state that a little more clearly...

You wash your hair, then apply some olive oil that you work into the scalp, then rinse it out and shampoo again?

Your last post was a little unclear.

and just what results are you seeing?
 09/18/2003 12:34 AM

Author Icon
guillermo
Accomplished Poster

I just want the " virgin " . Without oil please
 09/18/2003 12:52 AM

Author Icon
user
Regular Poster

When I use olive oil and rub it in to my scalp I see lots of hair falling out. Once I had massaged the oil into my scalp I found loads of hair on my forehand, hands etc.
I did not use minox.
The oil is VERY greasy do you sleep with the oil on your head and wash it out the next morning,
 09/18/2003 01:21 AM

Author Icon
Androgen
Accomplished Poster

I'm not surprised that olive oil works. If you take a look at the cyclosporing studies you will see that cyclosporin was compared to olive oil! According to the study olive oil grew 73 hairs in 4 months.
Here is the study:
Cyclosporin and olive oil

I just think it's way to greasy to make it worthwhile.
 09/18/2003 09:27 AM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

sounds like crazy talk..
 09/18/2003 11:14 AM

Author Icon
ADogg
Accomplished Poster

androgen is absolutely right. olive oil grows (a lot) of hair according to that cyclo study.
 09/18/2003 11:49 AM

Author Icon
rammer
Accomplished Poster

can you just leave it on for a few minuts in the shower?
 09/18/2003 11:58 AM

Author Icon
PotatoPlus
Regular Poster

Olive oil/wild onion soap for hairloss
Amalthia
$25 a bar

Edited: 09/18/2003 at 12:01 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 09/18/2003 12:13 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

<>

I would like a virgin with oil - just no olive.

-------------------------
5 mg fin/day
1 application 5% minox/day
Ginger PO shampoo every day
 09/18/2003 12:36 PM

Author Icon
hairnoevil
Accomplished Poster

I'd prefer an oiled up virgin please
 09/18/2003 04:41 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

Olive oil/wild onion soap for hairloss

Blatant advertising!!!!!!

-------------------------
5 mg fin/day
1 application 5% minox/day
Ginger PO shampoo every day
 09/18/2003 04:44 PM

Author Icon
jambap
Accomplished Poster

I just think it's way to greasy to make it worthwhile.

You know Androgen I thought the same thing. But I've been on that Beer/Olive Oil mix some dude recommended about a month ago and while at first it's greasy, after about an hour it dries to a nice stiff feel which I find great for styling, you can then run your fingers through to make the hair look natural ie. not wet. I use it at night but the way it helps styling I may use it in the mornings before work. I also add some Azelaic Acid to the mix in the form of Skinoren cream, just so that I get the AA addition without the need for yet another application. Can't say to much for results as it's only been a month, though I doubt it's doing any harm, but I will let the baord know after a few months, But foir something so cheap, simple and even helpful for styling I think I will stick to the beer/oliveoil mix. The smell's another story though
 09/18/2003 04:53 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

to clarify things a little!
1) I first wash and rinse my hair w/ a mild shampoo (baby shampoo)to get my scalp clean. [about 1 or 2x wk I will use a pyrithione zinc shampoo in place of the baby shampoo!]
2) I apply the extra virgin olive oil to my head directly ( about 1/2 of palm full of oil) and I massage it into scalp all over the head!
3) I proceed to obviously wash the rest of my body while I let the oil soak into the scalp for approx. 5 minutes or longer if you desire... it cant hurt to leave it on longer!
4) After waiting about 5 minutes, I then use the baby shampoo again to rinse out the oil out of my hair (not the scalp), I repeat I do not rub the shampoo into the scalp, I want that oil to be maintained in the scalp! I just use the shampoo to get rid of the excess oil on the hair itself!
5) Towel dry my hair, and apply minox 5% to my scalp as well!

Ps- I believe it doesnt matter when you apply the minox or when you apply the oil, I just have a routine where I do this before bed or at night! I have no more flaking or dandruff from the minox and my hair is not greasy at all, its just your scalp will stay hydrated nicely and it does not smell at all!!!!! I also use 100% aloe vera gel as a styling gel now, It works great and does not flake and holds pretty nicely!
** As far as regrowth goes..... I dont know..... I am/was a diffuse thinner all over my head! Nothing too seriously bad at the time but I did notice the thinning! However this regimine I believe has thickened the existing hair that I have and I think it is also growing a little bit faster (could be my imagination about growing faster but it is thickening up nicely)!

Edited: 09/18/2003 at 04:56 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 09/18/2003 05:27 PM

Author Icon
rammer
Accomplished Poster

wwhy would you leave the oil on your scalp if you apply minox right afterwards?
doesnt sound like a good idea.
 09/18/2003 06:34 PM

Author Icon
ADogg
Accomplished Poster

yup, you're probably blocking most of the minox from reaching your scalp...
 09/18/2003 06:44 PM

Author Icon
Slimhair
Prolific Poster

How long have you been using the Minoxidil. Are you sure it's the olive oil helping to thicken your hair? Maybe it's ONLY the minoxidil.
Eons ago I heard storys about my uncle trying so save his hair when he was in his early twenties. He would massage olive oil in his scalp. He was Norwood 6 at age 25. I don't know maybe he didn't consistently stay with it long enough.

Edited: 09/18/2003 at 06:52 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 09/18/2003 08:31 PM

Author Icon
shyguy007
Accomplished Poster

I was using just the minox 5% for about 2 months before I started using the olive oil method, during this time I had bad flaking and dandruff from the minox use and I didnt see any results either except maybe my hair wasnt thinning even more. When I started using the olive oil method the first thing I noticed was no more flaking, dandruff or scalp itching!!!! then at about the 1 month mark on this regimine I started seeing my hairs getting thicker darker, and now at the 2 month mark on this its looking and feeling even better! by the way I also read that the olive oil may in fact work as a vehicle for the minox, may help the scalp absorb the minox better! I read that some where on one of the studies on olive oil for hair regrowth! i cant remember what site it was but anyway........... the bottom line is that I feel I am getting better and actual results on this regimine!

I guess some people cant believe that something so simple can be so effective for hair growth and maintenance! I try to keep things simple!

Edited: 09/18/2003 at 08:33 PM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 09/18/2003 08:58 PM

Author Icon
Leandro
Prolific Poster

<< I'm not surprised that olive oil works. If you take a look at the cyclosporing studies you will see that cyclosporin was compared to olive oil! According to the study olive oil grew 73 hairs in 4 months.
>>

Cool info, Androgen. For ages people have been claiming that the use of olive oil stops hair loss and it seems that we have at least one bit of evidence that it may indeed work. Of course 73 hairs is only a little bit, but it shows that subject did not lose more hair.
 09/18/2003 09:21 PM

Author Icon
Slimhair
Prolific Poster

shyguy I'm glad it's working for you. It's hard not to be a skeptic when it comes to lotions and potions concerning MPB. May you have continued success.
Statistics
31861 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1500 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1510 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc