hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Itchy scalp a sign of losing hair?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/01/2003 07:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/01/2003 07:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

Over this past month, i've been thinning by my frontal hair line.. another thing though.. it has been extremely itchy.. can anyone confirm if itchiness is a sign of losing hair??
And another question.. am i losing hair BECAUSE i'm scratching my hair from the itchiness?
 09/01/2003 08:59 AM

Author Icon
jackster
Accomplished Poster

scalp condition is an important part of MPB...i would address the scalp condition with products like nizoral shampoo, T-sal shampoo, folligen, aloe, and emu oil...first get your scalp in good condition,,this is important...a itchy, flaky,irritating scalp will not be condusive to good regrowth or a healthy environment for hair....

godspeed with hair
 09/01/2003 08:27 PM

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

but can anyone else relate? i posted this a while back on another forum.. all confirmed itchiness when thinning/balding as a sign of losing hair.. if i get rid of the itchiness, will that help... prevent further loss of hair? If anyone else can relate.. i would like to know what you have to say..
Thanks in advance
 09/01/2003 11:14 PM

Author Icon
Androgen
Accomplished Poster

I completly agree with Jackster. Try to address the problem.
I had diffuse thinning for almost 10 years. At the same time my scalp was itchy and oily. The solution for me was zix. It might not be for you. I think scalp condition and hair growth goes hand in hand. It like sowing seeds on poor quality soil. Results will be poor.

Try one or more of these:
Nizoral shampoo, zix, aloe vera, emu oil, zinc pyrithione shampoo,folligen.

Try to find what works for you.
 09/02/2003 07:53 AM

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

to androgen: Are these over the counter shampoos? (if there even is such a thing..) or could you buy them at your local cvs... thanks though, i'll check it out.. i never really gave much thought to washing y hair until i saw thining.. i'm using baby shampoo right now.. think i need to use a conditioner?

Thanks in advance
 09/02/2003 08:43 AM

Author Icon
Axon
Accomplished Poster

<< but can anyone else relate? i posted this a while back on another forum.. all confirmed itchiness when thinning/balding as a sign of losing hair.. if i get rid of the itchiness, will that help... prevent further loss of hair? If anyone else can relate.. i would like to know what you have to say..

Thanks in advance
>>

My scalp (mostly the vertex) used to itch like crazy before my regimen. I had to carry a brush around with me to kill the sensation...

Don't recall much on the hairline though.
 09/03/2003 06:27 AM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

Hey Anonymous,

When i was 19 I experienced the most intense scalp itch. I then began to shed like mad. I had the exact same experience as you. I went to a few Derms who recommended I try denorex, head and shoulders, nizoral, T Gel, another tar shampoo and finally two types of corticosteroids. My head was red and oily looking and they told me is was seborrhea dermatitis. I tried everything and wanted to rip my scalp off because he itch was only getting worse. Nothing worked and my hair began to look thin and patchy because I was eventually losing handfuls of hair. Then I went back to Zinc ( my first derm recommended it). I tried it off and on but I never gave it time to work. Anyways 3 years a some hair loss later I started it and 3-4 weeks later the itch went away and I had more energy less shedding and my hair looks really healthy and full. My is not the same but I still have more hair than 95% of guys my age. I take 50mg of zinc gluconate a day. I think most (90%) men are zinc deficient from what I have read and if you drink a lot of coffee or alcohol or are vegetarian, you are more prone to a deficiency. I honestly recommend that you try it its only $5 for a bottle 100 tablets. I am so certain of zinc that if it doesn't work just messenger me and I will refund you the cash . Just give it at least 4 weeks, take it with food otherwise you will experience crazy stomach aches and try to cut down on booze and coffee. I would hate to see you go through the emotional torment of what I went through. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life and it seems like you're just at the begining. Just remember it takes at least 3-4 weeks before you'll notice any effects and you have to keep taking it or it will come back. If you want to learn more look up zinc deficiency on Yahoo. Another benefit is I never catch colds anymore either. Good luck.
 09/03/2003 09:02 PM

Author Icon
upsetwithhair
Regular Poster

hey worm.I was thinking about zinc too.My scalp was itchy and i was told i had seborrhea dermatitis too.My question is could you overdose on it?And where do you buy your zinc from?Did you have any of the zinc dificency symptoms?
 09/04/2003 07:08 AM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

This is from this website: http://www.coldcure.com/html/warning.html from an MD.

SIGNS OF ZINC DEFICIENCY: One easily recognized sign of zinc deficiency is white spots, bands, and lines on finger nails. An occasional white spot is usually evidence that the immune system overcame a bacterial or some other systemic infection, and is a positive, not negative sign. Some women will have multiple parallel white bands or lines on their fingernails marking menstrual cycles in marginal zinc deficiency. According to some biomedical researchers, human zinc deficiency may be correctable only by a therapeutic intake of 100 to 150 mg zinc per day taken orally for a few months. Significantly exceeding 150 mg per day to correct serum zinc deficiency is rarely warranted, and often causes nausea and vomiting, and may have other deleterious effects on health, primarily through depletion of serum copper. Some researchers suggest adding trace amounts of copper and vitamin B-6 with supplemental therapeutic doses of zinc to help reestablish proper zinc serum levels.

-
From the Merck site (reference manual for all North American Doctors): http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1/chapter4/4e.htm
-

Deficiency: The signs and symptoms of zinc deficiency include anorexia, growth retardation, delayed sexual maturation, hypogonadism and hypospermia, alopecia [HAIR LOSS], immune disorders, dermatitis [ITCHY SCALP] , night blindness, impaired taste (hypogeusia), and impaired wound healing. The first signs of zinc deficiency in marginally nourished children are suboptimal growth, anorexia, and impaired taste. The most serious manifestations of zinc deficiency were reported in Iranian dwarfs. These adolescent boys, who consumed large amounts of clay, were retarded in growth and sexual development and had anemia, hypogonadism, hepatosplenomegaly, rough skin, and mental lethargy. After treatment with a well-balanced diet containing adequate amounts of zinc for 1 yr, pubic hair appeared, sexual organs increased in size, linear growth was resumed, and the skin became normal. The anemia responded to iron supplements. Zinc deficiency develops in some patients with cirrhosis because the ability to retain zinc is lost.

I exhibited quite a few symptoms including skin allergies and light senstivity. A few months after taking zinc I began to feel much better beyond improved hair and skin. For example in 1999 when I felt the worst, my GPA dropped a half grade point in one semester (following a summer of intensive drinking which is supposed to kill you zinc levels). I go much better after taking zinc. I don't know if this is relevant to you, but I figure many people may be slightly zinc deficient and a small amount of zinc over prolonged periods may benefit anyone who takes it. There is no harm in trying.

Edited: 09/04/2003 at 07:10 AM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 09/04/2003 12:16 PM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

Thanks, Worm, for the info.

However, I have heard that too much zinc can cause hairloss, too.

So how much is too much when it comes to taking/eating foods with too much zinc?
 09/04/2003 07:58 PM

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

thanks worm.. your the first one from FORUMS that have told me to take Zinc. If its' true, than i hope for the best being that i have some of the symptoms.. bands on fingernails.. more like black lines running across my nails but i'm guessing its the same thing, anyway, i'll give it a try.
Right now i'm taking 50 mg Zinc and MultiVitamin (contains Zinc) ONCE a day, should that be enough?

Also..regarding the post before me, could you tell us if TOO much Zinc really does cause hair loss?

Thanks in advance, you've been a great help.
 09/06/2003 05:52 AM

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

anyone.. also.. dermatologist just subscribed for me minidoxil 5 percent.. to take for my thinning on my front hairline.. it didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about though.. can you guys tell me from experience if minidoxil works for the frontal area? if not.. what should i take to help regrow hair there..
thanks in advance
 09/06/2003 05:52 AM

Author Icon
Anonymous4
Regular Poster

anyone.. also.. dermatologist just subscribed for me minidoxil 5 percent.. to take for my thinning on my front hairline.. it didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about though.. can you guys tell me from experience if minidoxil works for the frontal area? if not.. what should i take to help regrow hair there..
thanks in advance
 09/08/2003 07:29 AM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

It helps my hairline. I do not think it has grown any hair back, but it has thickened it up a bit and prevents further loss. I am doing this until something better comes along. It is helping me maintain at the very least as opposed to loosing little by little on proscar alone.

Check out this site Merck for Zinc: http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1/chapter4/4e.htm
 09/08/2003 03:10 PM

Author Icon
pipo!
Prolific Poster

<< Over this past month, i've been thinning by my frontal hair line.. another thing though.. it has been extremely itchy.. can anyone confirm if itchiness is a sign of losing hair??

And another question.. am i losing hair BECAUSE i'm scratching my hair from the itchiness?
>>

The itchy scalp is not what causes hair to fall out, its a symptom of MPB. DHT attacking the follicle, sebum buildup, are concurrent conditions to MPB. Addressing the itchiness is good, but you can attack both at once by using antiandrogens and Niz...If you're visibly beginning to bald, u can try minox too to regrow.

pipo

-------------------------
Lee's xandrox 15 w/o ppg (at night)
Fin 1.25mg
1% Niz 3xweek
Nan0 everyday
Folligen lotion mixed with Nano conditioner am (leave in)
Folligen lotion and cream at night before minox
 09/10/2003 04:01 PM

Author Icon
worm
Accomplished Poster

Pipo may be right,

I would try the zinc, then the nizoral. If hair starts to fall out though, after 2 month of both nizoral and zinc then I would not start minox, but rather proscar 1/4 tabs. I waited about a year and a half after the itchiness started and I still have lots of hair. If you jump on proscar only after 6-8 months, I can guarantee you'll never have to worry about hair loss. Just bear in mind it takes about 6-8 months after treatment to really notice the effects. Also, continue niz and zinc.
 09/10/2003 05:02 PM

Author Icon
element676
Accomplished Poster

hey pipo
any regrowth from all those topicals? ..espically 17a
Statistics
31750 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1249 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1255 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc