hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: light to moderate beer consumption and shedding
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2003 10:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2003 10:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
amazed
Accomplished Poster

i've been experiencing some crazy sheds the day after drinking beer and i'm not drinking excessively. one day i had 3 beers and the next day i seriously probably lost like 300+ hairs while combing. i'm 100% sure because when i don't drink beer shedding is normal/low. even with 1 to 2 beers i notice an increase, probably double what i would have when i don't drink anything.

i've searched for answers and i cannot find any on the net. i have no allergic reaction or any bad reactions from drinking. just wondering if anyone has experienced this or heard of anything like this. i can't say its a bad thing for sure because my hair follicles are extremely thick these days and my hair doesn't look thinner than before.

confused as hell.
 07/26/2003 10:39 AM

Author Icon
fuzzymelon
Prolific Poster

Can't say I've experienced any sort of sheds that seem to be realted to my alcohol consumption. Including excessive beer consumption.

07/26/2003 11:00 AM

Author Icon
Leandro
Prolific Poster

I don´t know if this increase in T is expressive enough to make such a difference in hair fall out... Maybe there are other stuff related to it... But here´s the study...

Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003 Apr;27(4):682-5.

Testosterone increases in men after a low dose of alcohol.

Sarkola T, Eriksson CJ.

BACKGROUND Heavy acute alcohol drinking decreases blood testosterone in men due to an effect on the testicular level. An acute increase in blood testosterone levels after a low alcohol dose has, however, recently been reported in women. The objective of this investigation was to study the effect of a low alcohol dose on testosterone in men and further elucidate the mechanism behind the effect by using 4-methylpyrazole, an inhibitor of alcohol metabolism.METHODS A double-blind placebo-controlled interventional crossover trial in random order (n = 13).RESULTS After intake of alcohol (0.5 g/kg, 10% w/v), an acute increase in plasma testosterone (from 13.5 +/- 1.2 nmol/liter to 16.0 +/- 1.6 nmol/liter, mean +/- SEM; p < 0.05), a decrease in androstenedione (from 5.1 +/- 0.4 nmol/liter to 4.0 +/- 0.3 nmol/liter; p < 0.05), and an increase in the testosterone:androstenedione ratio (from 2.8 +/- 0.3 to 4.2 +/- 0.4; p < 0.01) were observed. The effects were not observed during pretreatment with 4-methylpyrazole (10-15 mg/kg orally), which inhibited the ethanol elimination rate by 37 +/- 3%.CONCLUSIONS Alcohol intake affects the androgen balance in men through an effect mediated by the alcohol-induced change in the redox state in the liver.
 07/26/2003 11:14 AM

Author Icon
AvoHero
Regular Poster

I have said this several times and everytime I flamed for it, that alcohol doesnt cause your hair to shed. Someone always brings up the comparison to bums on the street with full heads of hair or George Best. I am so sure that it causes me to shed. I dont think it is the alcohol itself. I think it is from the yeast in the beer which flairs seborrheic dermatitis and eczema. I also think the dehydration and liver issues that beer causes does not help at all. I am so 100% sure that beer contributes to my shedding. My advice to you is to stay away from it for a while and see if it helps. I went to a nutritionist/dermatologist yesterday and he confirmed the possible link. I am sure now people will disagree with you and me but if you know for sure that the beer doesnt help, do something about it.
Regards,
AvoHero.
P.s. Im positive!
 07/26/2003 11:36 AM

Author Icon
fuzzymelon
Prolific Poster

Amazed,

Do you notice a similiar shed with alcohol other then beer? Do you get the same effect if you do a couple shots of tequila or vodka?

07/26/2003 12:29 PM

Author Icon
turfboy
Prolific Poster

It may be that beer is high-carb.

Try bourbon, gin, tequila, rum and see if the same thing happens. If you mix with a soda, make sure it is sugar-free or you will get the same effect.
 07/26/2003 01:34 PM

Author Icon
amazed
Accomplished Poster

i really appreciate the responses guys.

i just had to ask because i've never seen anything flip shedding on and off like a switch. i have never shed like that in my life, and after 2 days off beer, shedding back to normal. (which is fairly low)

as far as the testosterone goes i have no idea. i get the feeling that it lowers while drinking but of course i'm not checking my levels while i'm drinking. interesting thought. the thing is my hair does fall out from non mpb areas including the sides and lower back. it's almost like TE, but it stabilizes after a couple days. however really strong looking hair does not pull or comb out.

i will try a different type of drink and see if it makes a difference. or just eliminate alcohol entirely. i've never had a problem with high carbs i have always eaten high carbs, rice pasta etc., my shedding is normally very low and of course never perfectly consistent, but this 300-400 hairs or whatever it is... no one would miss.

i still do notice a good amount of new hair growing in and i guess thats why i'm not freaking out. i have never known anyone to complain of hair fallout after a night of drinking, and certainly not after a couple beers. i'm gonna stay off the alcohol for a few days to let things stabilize, then i'll try a different type of alcohol and let you know if i have the same effect.

thank you, amazed
 07/26/2003 02:09 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

AvoHero - I don't want you to feel unflamed

Leandro posted:
Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003 Apr;27(4):682-5.

Testosterone increases in men after a low dose of alcohol.

Sarkola T, Eriksson CJ.

RESULTS After intake of alcohol an acute increase in plasma testosterone, a decrease in androstenedione, and an increase in the testosterone:androstenedione ratio were observed. CONCLUSIONS Alcohol intake affects the androgen balance in men

AvoHero replied: I have said this several times and everytime I flamed for it, that alcohol doesnt cause your hair to shed

Let's see - AvoHero's word against a published journal study - you pick.

-------------------------
5 mg fin/day
1 application 5% minox/day
Ginger PO shampoo every day
 07/26/2003 02:58 PM

Author Icon
amazed
Accomplished Poster

by the way i would have never guessed in my wildest dreams that something such as this would cause shedding. the only other time i've had any shedding was when i took propecia a while ago and even that was a fraction of this. it may not last, or it may. i do have a lot of hair growing in right now which is good, in fact even more than i thought earlier as i just looked. i've also wondered if it was somehow forcing my hair to cycle, but i can't necessarily make any sense of that.

07/26/2003 06:49 PM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

Let's see - beer or hair? - That's a tough choice!

5 mg fin/day
 07/26/2003 08:13 PM

Author Icon
Nero
Prolific Poster

That is a question best answered over a six pack.
 07/26/2003 09:59 PM

Author Icon
turfboy
Prolific Poster

I did start drinking beer in college.

At the same time I also started losing lots of hair.

Maybe there is some kind of correlation but honestly I doubt it.

Probably half or more of the guys on this board started losing it after high school.
 07/27/2003 01:46 AM

Author Icon
MeddlingKids
Accomplished Poster

Oh how I love beer. Somebody write a poem titled "Ode to Beer".
 07/27/2003 02:40 AM

Author Icon
AvoHero
Regular Poster

Gumbo Boy,
Im not sure why you are flaming me. That testosterone study states that alcohol increases testosterone which will in turn increase hair loss- am I right? I have now realised that my first sentence in my original post was phrased badly but I think that beer definatly increases my shedding. Read my post again. Ignore the first sentence!
AvoHero.
P.s Im quite hungover so dont shout!
 07/27/2003 07:21 AM

Author Icon
Gumbo Boy
Accomplished Poster

AvoHero - (in quiet soothing tones) Sorry! I just didn't want you to feel unflamed (whatever that means).

5 mg fin/day
 07/27/2003 08:47 AM

Author Icon
amazed
Accomplished Poster

shedding is back to normal after 1 day, in fact almost lower than the norm. combed through my hair several times got nothing, and got a few hairs the other times. yesterday i probably had 30 on each comb or close to it, not including my hands filling up with it in the shower.

i may wait a few days and then i'll try something else to drink and see how it affects me. i have no known food allergies so i doubt it's only beer.

Statistics
32107 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 501 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 510 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc