hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Info on Pantothenic Acid
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/10/2003 02:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/10/2003 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wantmyhair
Prolific Poster

Anybody who is supplementing with pantothenic acid, also known as Vitamin B5, STOP NOW! Do some research on the relationship between Pantothenic Acid , the adrenal glands , and DHEA. You'll be happy you did. NO MORE B5 IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HAIR.
 06/10/2003 03:03 PM

Author Icon
CrazyJoe
Prolific Poster

I took 10 grams a day, for almost 6 months to battle acne, it worked well, for 3 months but then stopped. At the same time it stopped working I was losing hair.

I am still losing hair and its getting thinner but I have been off of it for 3 months now and the hair loss isn't alot, prolly just minox shedding, but the thing is I think it kick started the MPB somehow.

Taking B-5 will not do much negative, its only when megadosing it at 5 or more grams a day that the side effects like hair loss surface.

06/10/2003 06:11 PM

Author Icon
Chim chim
Accomplished Poster

wantmyhair,

please fill us in on the specifics of why B5 is bad for the hair and the adrenals, etc.

Thanks.
 06/10/2003 09:14 PM

Author Icon
Accomplished Poster

Fill us in wantmyhair as I would like to know where you heard this from. I thought B5 was good for hair.
 06/10/2003 09:21 PM

Author Icon
CrazyJoe
Prolific Poster

B-5 is good for hair. just not when megadosing it.

I wasnt supplementing with B-50 complex, EFA, (Megadosing causes defeciencies) during the first 3 months I was using it for acne, then I started losing hair, never before in my life have I lost hair. So I continued B-5 and started 2% minox solutions and EFA, B-50.

Now this was in January, now... 3 months after I quit B-5 altogether I am up to 5% minox and a few other things and I am still shedding since I first noticed it.

It has a pattern of MPB so I dunno if it kick started it, or if it was just a coincidence but I am losing hair (not much) but its thinning.

THis has happened to many people who Megadose the vitamin for acne relief,male and female.

THIS IS ONLY WHEN MEGADOSING THE SIDE EFFECTS SURFACE

Taking normal daily amounts of B-5 will not harm your hair, its good for it and skin.
 06/10/2003 11:14 PM

Author Icon
wantmyhair
Prolific Poster

Joe I agree completely, and sorry I left out that detail. Yes, it is mega-dosing, and I realized it for the same reason, for fighting acne. I was also taking an initial dose of 10grams a day for a month, then 5grams a day for another 4-5 months. It helped the acne like no other, but I noticed my hair quality and quantity was reducing dramatically. As for the relationship between the B5, adrenals, and DHEA, it requires some research. But to make a long story short, the B5 gets the adrenals "pumping" and producing more DHEA in our bodies, and we all know DHEA is trouble for our hair. I encourage anyone who is interested to do some research on the web for themselves and piece it all together, I'm not hiding anything (As another hairloss forum accused me of) I just want you to see for yourself to get a better understanding. It's no cure, just a little something helpful.
 06/11/2003 01:05 AM

Author Icon
wantmyhair
Prolific Poster

Someone please teach me how to add a link to my posts, and I will put up some helpful links. BTW, I just came across all this info today, I'm so relieved to be giving up my B5 supplements.
 06/11/2003 03:32 AM

Author Icon
Accomplished Poster

How much B5 is alright to take without it being too much then?

You can post a link by using the "http" button above where you write your post.
 06/11/2003 06:44 AM

Author Icon
CrazyJoe
Prolific Poster

I'd say anything over 2-3 grams would be megadosing.

It did stop acne for a bit, but only 3 out of the 6 months I was on it.

Do you know how to reverse this process wantmyhair?

It seems the B-5 shrinks the pore, reducing oils secretion therfore reducing acne, but then the follicles on the head are also affected and they shrink cutting off the hair.

It seems time will get them back to normal, I hope.

06/11/2003 04:53 PM

Author Icon
wantmyhair
Prolific Poster

Adrenals

[L=]http://www.methodisthealth.com/endocrin/cushing.htm[/L]
[L=]http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/adrenal.html[/L]

DHEA

[L=]http://www.quackwatch.org/01quackeryrelatedtopics/dhea.html[/L]
[L=]http://physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/05may/news.htm[/L]

Just look up what B5 does to find out how it activates the adrenal glands. B5 is not at all a "bad" supplement, just mega-dosing will lead to trouble.
 06/11/2003 06:08 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

I was told megadosing B5 should help hair if anything.

If it treats acne and sebum production, that means it's GOOD for scalp hair, not bad. Stimulating Adrenals is good for hair.

This talk of "shrinking pores, cutting off the hair" is absolute crap.. phantom talk as much as "blocking nutrients to the scalp" ala ernie primate from alt.baldspot fame.

I don't know if it helps, but i don't see how it can hurt the hair. It's known that antiandrogens can help reduce acne, and help hair.. so a similar correlation should be made here.

I megadosed for a long time.. over 7-8 months, but no benefit.

- Rich
 06/11/2003 07:06 PM

Author Icon
CrazyJoe
Prolific Poster

Others have experienced hair loss, from megadosing. It is a side effect.

I never had hair loss, until I started using B-5 at 10 grams a day. Its mostly Diffuse thinning, in the MPB area.

I dont really know why the hair loss started but the only thing I was doing was using B-5.
 06/11/2003 09:56 PM

Author Icon
RichLocks
Accomplished Poster

I'm betting more coincidence. Several people have told me they stopped shedding once megadosing on B5.. but those were mainly acne sufferers who didn't really have a hairloss problem anyways.

This stuff makes the skin look great. I really doubt it can "jump start" hairloss, but who knows. It didn't help or hurt my hair.
 06/12/2003 02:36 AM

Author Icon
wantmyhair
Prolific Poster

Sorry Joe, I honestly don't know how to reverse it. I've stopped taking my 2g of B5 today, and maybe I'll see some improvement over time also. Good luck to you.
 03/01/2004 07:01 PM

Author Icon
Hawk
Occasional Poster

Old topic. But for those who want more info, go to:
http://pub106.ezboard.com/fabsoluteacneinfofrm1.showMessage?topicID=12232.topic
 03/02/2004 02:16 AM

Author Icon
Pete
Accomplished Poster

I take 500mg of B5 daily which should help shrink oil producing glands. When you are stressed you produce stress hormones which can convert into DHT. Therefore I take B5 to help with this upregulation.

03/02/2004 04:09 AM

Author Icon
oorphee_02
Prolific Poster

just found out biotin + B5 are used in cures of megadosing for 6 weeks and work best this way, 2 times a year.
this makes so much sense compared to the experience I got
 03/02/2004 04:00 PM

Author Icon
McGunther
Accomplished Poster

I remeber back when I had acne searching for the cure I read about a ton of ppl using b5 and alot of them reported hairloss...non MPB related, that is why I never used it..my acen just went away once I stopped worrying about it and worked out a bunch.
Statistics
31741 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 628 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 631 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc