hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: apple cider vinegar in hair
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/02/2003 12:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/02/2003 12:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Pinny
Regular Poster

has anybody tried massaging apple cider vinegar in hair.This stuff is suppose to naturaly remove all oils from scalp and hair, promoting better blood circulation any thoughts on this guys.

I actually tried it smells awful of course,its organic, it has 5% acidity can that be harmful to the hair. I think it will change the ph of my hair.
 03/02/2003 01:47 PM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I use it. I use it mainly to redude itching and remove "crud" from my scalp. I put it on for about 15 minutes to an hour before I shower. It's supposed to cleanse the way polysorbate 80 would. It's been working well for me. And it feels great.

I am not concerned about the acidity when I am using Minox all the time anyway. It's no more harsh then that.

Jojoba oil is also supposed to be really good. I am still researching where to get it for the best price so I have not tried it yet.
 03/02/2003 01:53 PM

Author Icon
Pinny
Regular Poster

thanks for the reply does yours contain acid in it i applied it once and was buzzing for about 2 hrs and as well it dripped on my neck and it was extremely red without much of a stinning sensation , it feels good in the hair though

how often do you use it name Eden Organic apple cider vinegar
 03/02/2003 03:34 PM

Author Icon
rammer
Accomplished Poster

i thought yu apply the apple cider vinegar as a final rinse in the shower, after a shampoo - leaving it on for a minute or two??
would that be beneficial at all?
 03/02/2003 11:48 PM

Author Icon
Slippery
Accomplished Poster

The main point of using this stuff is to replace the acid mantle of the scalp that is stripped away from shampooing. So yes you should leave it in without rinsing it out.
 03/03/2003 03:19 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

As I said, I read about it as a treatment for some of the problems I have having with itching on my scalp and to remove build up/clear follicles. It has helped me with that. I read 15 minutes-to an hour before showering for what I am using it for. It has helped a ton in that regard.

As for the afterwash treatment, I have no clue.
 03/05/2003 08:09 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

Just giving a little more detail on how this is working for me. I only use this treatment when I have bad "crud" flare ups.

I tend to get the "crud" build up that some people mention. I apply the Apple Cider Vinegar to my scalp for at least 15 minutes before I shower. Usually more like an hour. It seems to eat away at the crud. When I do shampoo, the crud washes off and my scalp feel amazing. The shampoo itself does this to an extent of course, but the Apple Cider Vinegar seems to help it more, and it makes my scalp feel better aftewards. The Nizoral on it's own tends to dry out my scalp a bit. Using this process though, it doesn't seem as harsh.

SO basically, it doesn't remove the crud. But it makes it wash off way easier, and gradually helps eliminate it. That is why I use it pre-wash, and not after.
 03/06/2003 12:35 AM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

tdu,

I may order Polysorbate 80. WIll this be just as effective as apple cider vinegar as far as loosening the "crud" builduo before showering?
 03/06/2003 03:07 AM

Author Icon
rammer
Accomplished Poster

i stopped using the apple cider vinegar, but if i start geting flakes from rogaine ad the emu and aloe cant keep them away, then ill try spraying some ac vinegar an hour before my shower.
thanks
 03/06/2003 06:50 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

tja123 ya it pretty much is. I just went with the vinegar because you can get tons of it for dirt cheap. And as a bonus, you can drink it. It's supposed to be a very good digestive aid, and help with health in general. You take a few tablespoons of it. AND for sinus congestion/headaches you can boil some in a pot and inhale the steam.

There are literally like 100's of uses for it. You can find websites dedicated to it.

But ya Polysorbate 80 definately works the same way on the scalp. I read that Jojoba oil does the exact same thing that Polysorbate 80 does. Plus it has other benifits. But I haven't been able to find a cheap source to buy it from yet.
I am going to try the "rinse" idea mentioned in this thread as well. Because I love how the stuff feels on my scalp.

03/06/2003 11:19 AM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

Thanks Tdu. I think I'll try BOTH apple cider vinegar and Polysorbate and see which one I like better.
 03/07/2003 12:42 AM

Author Icon
tja123
Accomplished Poster

I tried the apple cider vinegar tonight for the first time.....How ar eyou guys applying it? Just putting some in your hand and splashing it on? Or do yuo empty it into something and spray it on? Maybe even use an eye dropper?

It seemed to work Ok, but right now I don't have the usual crud buildup so I think I'll try it again when I do.

By the way, just to make sure I am using the right stuff, the apple cider vinegar I have is called Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar 5% Acidity - I use it to make my Italian dressing for salads....is this the right stuff??
 06/30/2005 09:51 AM

Author Icon
Zardoz
Accomplished Poster

Guys: There is a young fellow on another hairloss forum who regrew his frontal hairline about an inch in nine months (!) with the use of apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a hair rinse. He also takes beta sitosterol. He suspects that shampoos with SLS "harsh detergents", etc. were causing him to accelerate his MPB hair loss, so he avoids them. He uses no shampoos at the moment --the "grunge". I would not go that far --some "natural" shampoos are gentler than other, commercial ones. Wouldn't it be ironic if many people worldwide with early MPB are making matters worse with a regimen of seemingly innocuous shampoos? He has pictures of his regrowth:
acv

Edited: 06/30/2005 at 07:44 PM by Zardoz
 06/30/2005 10:45 AM

Author Icon
hair_tomorrow
Accomplished Poster

(excerpt from ImmortHair's On-Line Hairloss Book  -  I've never actually tried it myself)
--------------------------- 

Apple-Cider-Vinegar & Cayenne (capsicum) *

This simple mixture of apple-cider-vinegar and cayenne pepper is a topical circulation aid that you can prepare yourself. You may add ginger (from ginger capsules for additional comfort and effect). Apply this mixture directly to your scalp. The apple-cider-vinegar acts as a solution, the cayenne pepper as a stimulant and ruberfacient (increases blood flow to the surface of the skin). Be very careful too not to let this get into your eyes. As I mentioned in chapter 6, (Polysorbates & Scalp Cleansers), this combination is much like a milder version of pepper spray. It will dilate your capillaries to a blood red. Your scalp will feel a tingling sensation (if ginger is used) or like a mild sunburn if the ginger is not added. Leave this astringent mixture on for five minutes or more rinse off after use. If you feel that your scalp has poor circulation, you may use this as often as you like, although I think of it primarily as a good way to jump-start the process of renewal.

How to prepare:

Mix one 12-ounce bottle of apple-cider-vinegar with three tablespoons of cayenne pepper (capsicum). If using other than condiment style cayenne pepper, like the capsules, then beware of the heat units contained. Cayenne supplements are offered in 40,000 to 200,000 heat units. Use the same three tablespoons worth if the cayenne capsules read 40,000 heat units on the label. If using 100,000 heat units capsicum, then reduce the amount of cayenne to the mixture by one half. If using 200,000 heat units, reduce the amount by a quarter. The amount of ginger to add (optional) can be from one tablespoon or more of ginger powder. Ginger will add to the tingling sensation and help reduce the heat from the capsicum while aiding circulation.

-------------------------
hair_tomorrow@usa.com ~ NW5A ~ Dut: 2x weekly; Proscar: 1 mg 4x weekly ~ Minomuck ~ SuperZix II ~ Copper Peptides ~ Shampoos: rotate Dr. Lee's Regrowth, "Thicker Fuller Hair" w/ caffeine, Biotin w/ TTO ~ Emu & Essential Oils ~ Varied OTC Supplements
 06/30/2005 07:52 PM

Author Icon
Zardoz
Accomplished Poster

Guys: If an ACV+ topical helps, why have not more people tried this in the over two years since this first appeared on these boards? I guess some people don't like to mix things up, to experiment. They prefer a pre-mixed product. But that could be a long, long time in coming if we don't effectively communicate our needs to potential manufacturers. I am experimenting with adding MSM to an ACV-water base, to improve penetration. It seems to help with penetration, without getting unwanted chemical reactions. Probably don't want sulfates, but sulfones may be OK! A little topical ginger and cayenne may be helpful additives, according to reports.

Edited: 07/06/2005 at 04:28 PM by Zardoz
 07/02/2005 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Zardoz
Accomplished Poster

bump!
 07/03/2005 12:21 AM

Author Icon
AloActivist
Prolific Poster

Add some rosemary with it for an even better effect. The combo has long been used as a hair growth remedy.. So if you're going to be using the a.c.v., throw in some rosemary oil too.

>>AloActivist<<
 07/03/2005 05:32 AM

Author Icon
skan
Prolific Poster

i use ACV with cayenne pepper 1 hour before showering. put it all in a 60ml dropper bottle and apply.

you need to wait that long for the cayenne to really do its thing i.e. it stimulates blood flow.

you can really see and feel it work...red scalp and tingling!
 07/03/2005 08:46 AM

Author Icon
OnAHairQuest
Regular Poster

I grew up with that belief. I'm not sure how factual and true it is though I was also told that if I poured Lysterine on my scalp after shampooing that it would help my dandruff and my hair. I don't know but after I tried that one, my scalp felt like it was on fire
 07/03/2005 11:08 AM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

I didn't use apple cider veinegar for very long. It was mainly while I was adjusting to 5% minox and had some buildup on my scalp. I never really regarded it as a hairloss treatment, but as more of a scalp treatment for problems I was having.

The idea of using it for solution bases sounds interesting though.
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » apple cider vinegar in hair

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
32104 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 12 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 451 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 463 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc