hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The hair growth promoting effect of Sophora flavescens extract
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/13/2003 11:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/13/2003 11:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Andy_G
Accomplished Poster

Dermatol Sci 2002 Oct;30(1):43

The hair growth promoting effect of Sophora flavescens extract and its molecular regulation
Seok-Seon Roh a * , Chang Deok Kim b , Min-Ho Lee c , Seong-Lok Hwang c , Moon-Jeong Rang c and Yeo-Kyeong Yoon c
Received: 1/24/2002. Revised: 5/8/2002. Accepted: 5/9/2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstract

In search of natural extracts for hair growth, we found that the extract of dried root of Sophora flavescens has outstanding hair growth promoting effect. After topical application of Sophora flavescens extract onto the back of C57BL/6 mice, the earlier conversion of telogen-to-anagen was induced. The growth of dermal papilla cells cultured in vitro, however, was not affected by Sophora flavescens extract treatment. RT-PCR analysis showed that Sophora flavescens extract induced mRNA levels of growth factors such as IGF-1 and KGF in dermal papilla cells, suggesting that the effects of Sophora flavescens extract on hair growth may be mediated through the regulation of growth factors in dermal papilla cells. In addition, the Sophora flavescens extract revealed to possess potent inhibitory effect on the type II 5α-reductase activity. Taken together, these results suggest that Sophora flavescens extract has hair growth promoting potential and can be used for hair growing products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Affiliations:
a Oriental Medical College of Daejeon University, 96-3 Yongundong, Daejeon 300-716, South Korea. b School of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, San 56-1 Shillimdong, Seoul 151-742, South Korea. c LG Household and Health Care Research Park, 84 Jangdong, Daejeon 305-343, South Korea.

-------------------------
still NW2 (1999-now)
* Spectral DNC 2x daily (crown and frontal part)
* Minoxidil 5% 2x daily (middle part of head)
* Avodart every other day
* Alpecin After Shampoo Liquid (caffeine topical) 2x daily
* shampoos: Revita, Alpecin double effect shampoo
 01/13/2003 12:42 PM

Author Icon
NW1
Regular Poster

So how would you go about applying a powder extract?? Interesting find!
 01/13/2003 01:11 PM

Author Icon
Andy_G
Accomplished Poster

Norwood1,

The easiest thing to do is use an alcohol/water(50%/50%) base, to make a topical.

still NW2 (1999-now)
 01/13/2003 01:37 PM

Author Icon
mmca
Occasional Poster

You could try what I do with grape seed extract (which is similarly a source of proanthocyanidin) - half a spoon of 100% grain spirit vodka, half a spoon of red wine, dissolve in contents of one 120mg capsule of the GSE and apply topically.
 01/13/2003 09:19 PM

Author Icon
NW1
Regular Poster

<< Norwood1,
The easiest thing to do is use an alcohol/water(50%/50%) base, to make a topical.
>>

Like pure rubbing alcohol?? And how much would I need to use in relation to the alcohol/water? This shit really confuses me. I think I would start fighting my hairloss a little better if I was as smart as other people on this board lol. Thanks for your help bro
 01/13/2003 10:57 PM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

Andy,

This stuff must be available as a liquid tincture somewhere. Have you found a source?

Also, I know you're taking 5mg of Proscar a day. What level did you start out as and how long did it take to work up to that? How were the side effects?

Thanks
 01/13/2003 11:17 PM

Author Icon
turfboy
Prolific Poster

Interesting info from Shiseido...

As we grow older, however, our elastin is slowly broken down, and the result is a loss in skin tension and elasticity. Ultraviolet rays are especially a potent activator of "elastase," which is the enzyme responsible for elastin decomposition. Exposure to UV rays thus accelerates the decline in skin shape and stretchability.
Shiseido has searched long and hard for materials that suppress the workings of the enzyme "elastase." As a result of its research on more than 150 species of natural herbs and medicinal plants, Shiseido has discovered that the extract of Sophora flavescens A. root has this power to reduce elastase activity. This was of course the first time that humans have discovered this effect of Sophora flavescens root extract. Moreover, in addition to its ability to control elastase, this extract is also capable of reducing hyaluronic acid decomposition and of helping to improve rough skin.
Shiseido plans to continue its efforts to develop cosmetic products that take advantage of the superior elastase-inhibiting effects of Sophora flavescens root extract. With this extract as their key ingredient, Shiseido's products will continue to preserve the tension and youth of your skin by helping to prevent deterioration caused by aging and the sun's ultraviolet rays.

Even at low concentrations, Sophora flavescens root extract has powerful elastase-inhibiting effects. Shiseido found that at a concentration of 0.003%, Sophora flavescens root reduces elastase activity by 20% from that of a non-mixed control; at 0.006%, it is 40% better, at 0.03%, 85%; and at 0.06%, a 93% improvement was recorded.

www.shiseido.co.jp/e/e9608let/html/let00192.htm

01/14/2003 02:06 AM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

bump
 01/14/2003 02:14 AM

Author Icon
Toddler
Accomplished Poster

Interesting find man! I don't want to mix up the stuff myself. Wonder if they sell it somewhere?
 01/14/2003 03:02 AM

Author Icon
Troymaclure
Accomplished Poster

<<< Interesting Page >>>
antibacterial, antifungal...toxic like nicotine..etc. - it also says it's bitter...huh, must work where i work then

Edited: 01/14/2003 at 03:03 AM by Hair Loss Help Moderator
 01/14/2003 04:42 AM

Author Icon
Andy_G
Accomplished Poster

<< Andy,

This stuff must be available as a liquid tincture somewhere. Have you found a source?
Also, I know you're taking 5mg of Proscar a day. What level did you start out as and how long did it take to work up to that? How were the side effects?
Thanks
>>

SideShowBob,

I haven't found a source yet where they sell a liquid tincture but there are lots of site where you can order the powder extract.

About Proscar: Only the first & second month I mostly took 2.5mg. After that I always took 5mg.
I still have to experience the first worrying side effect. I may have had a temporay increase of libido (could be my imagination). In general my libido is very good, no problems really.

still NW2 (1999-now)
 01/14/2003 04:44 AM

Author Icon
Andy_G
Accomplished Poster

I also found a study presented in 2001 at the European Hair Research Society meeting about this stuff. It also shows the effectiveness of this herb extract.

The Effect of Sophora Root Extract on the Anagen Elongation and Isolation of Active Compounds

T. Takahashi, C. Hamada, A. Ishino, K. Kobayashi, T. Kimura, K. Komatsu and M. Tajima Shiseido Basic Research Center, Yokohama, Japan

Androgenetic alopecia is characterized by the gradual miniaturization of hair follicles (vellus hair) resulting from the decrease in the duration of anagen phase. Thus, the anagen elongation is thought to be the most effective for the improvement of androgenetic alopecia. In the course of screening plant extracts for anagen elongation activity, the extract of dried roots of Sophora Flavescens Aiton (SRE), which is wellknown as a Chinese traditional medicine, was found to possess potent anagen elongation activity using human hair follicle organ culture. When anagen hair follicles were cultured in Williams E medium in the presence of SRE, hair shaft elongation was significantly accelerated compared with those cultured in the absence of SRE. In anagen hair follicles, the proliferating cells are distributed in epithelial cells, such as hair matrix cells and outer root sheath cells (ORSC). The elongation of anagen phase was estimated by growth stimulation of hair follicle epithelial cells. We used a serum-free culture system of human ORSC to estimate the effect of anagen elongation. When human ORSC was cultured in the presence of SRE, one ppb of dry residue was sufficient for the growth stimulation of ORSC. These results suggest that SRE is effective for anagen elongation because of the stimulation of the proliferation of hair follicle epithelial cells. In order to isolate active compound for anagen elongation, SRE was fractionated by solvent extraction and subsequent silica gel chromatography. The hydrophobic fraction showed activity for ORSC growth stimulation. Further purification showed two independent active compounds. When their structures were elucidated using NMR and FAB-MS method, these were two pterocarpan derivatives, medicarpin and maakiain, and exhibited significant acceleration of ORSC proliferation.

still NW2 (1999-now)
 03/30/2003 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Frumpy
Regular Poster

Has anyone had any luck finding Sophora in a tincture? I found this site, but I am not sure if it is worth trying (link). I was reminded of this research when I was looking at Quercitin supplements and saw that some of them were derived from other Sophora species, not flavescens. I was thinking that there must be some good stimulators in addition to GSE.
 03/30/2003 12:52 PM

Author Icon
taco
Prolific Poster

Check out these products, you think any of them are what we are looking for??

www.asaphair.com/pages/products.html
 03/30/2003 01:44 PM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

I don't think so, but there are a lot of interesting hair growth herbal products from China, and especially India.

There is a guy named Vikram, over on Hairsite, that got good results using Indian herbs, especially Mahabhringraj oil (damn, I think I just put a knot in my tongue!).

It's put out by Good Earth.
 03/30/2003 02:07 PM

Author Icon
tdu
Accomplished Poster

This is to promote growth right? Not regrowth? If that's the case I am sticking with Vegetal Silica and MSM. I buzzed my hair with a #3 3 weeks ago and it's already almost 2 inches long.
 04/07/2003 09:43 AM

Author Icon
Zooner
Occasional Poster

Hey Guys,

Any verdict on this? TDU brought up a good point-promotes growth or regrowth? However, the study says it switches telogen to anagen, and isn't that the bottom line in MPB; hairs stay in telogen longer and longer.

Since I don't want to use minox and I'm getting a slowdown in fallout with zix, I might give this a try. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Zooner
 04/07/2003 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Side Show Bob
Accomplished Poster

I've ordered some extract and will be adding it into my minox. along with Proscar, which I already have added, and have been using for some time now.

04/07/2003 10:41 AM

Author Icon
Zooner
Occasional Poster

Side Show Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me where you ordered your batch? I'd like to see if I can get the liquid, rather than powder and making my own. I'll likely add this to my zix/aloe combo.

I'm thinking of going back on fin. I took it a couple of years back with some regrowth (and no side effects) then stopped because of the price. But I've been reading that maybe a lower dose is still OK, so I'm going to try that. Interesting though, it took a long time-like 2 years to lose what I had gained on fin.

Zooner
 04/07/2003 05:01 PM

Author Icon
Zooner
Occasional Poster

bump
Statistics
36364 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 116 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 116 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc