hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rogaine vs Generic Minoxidil
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/17/2002 11:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2002 11:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
new_dude

Hi,

Is there a difference between Rogaine and the generic Minoxidil.
Is it safe to use propecia dn minoxidil together?

And are there any other products out there to use -

I also heard of some acid solution that you mix with minoxidil - not too sure about it though

Thanks,

new_dude
 10/17/2002 03:44 PM

Author Icon
Z
Prolific Poster

Rogaine ($$$$) = Minoxidil + Brand Name
Generic ($) = Minoxidil + No Name

(In Price) Generic < Rogaine
(In Usage) Generic = Rogaine

therefore:

Buy Generic Minoxidil.
Walmart and Costco are two of the cheaper sources in the US
 10/17/2002 08:26 PM

Author Icon
SpiTFirE
Regular Poster

for me personally..
Rogaine ($$$$) = Minoxidil + Brand Name
Kirkland ($) = Minoxidil + No Name + Massive Dandruff
 10/18/2002 11:08 AM

Author Icon
ahadabans
Accomplished Poster

There's no difference between generic minox and rogaine. Making the stuff isn't rocket science. When you buy rogaine, you're paying for the name brand and that's it.

And using propecia with minox is actually recommended. They both address hairloss from different angles. I believe adding an SOD can also be of benefit, since it technically addresses hairloss from a third angle. I've had good luck with the American Crew spray since I added it (2-3 months, can't remember off hand).

Good luck.

-------------------------
Internals: .5mg Dut

Topicals:
Tricomin - 1-2 times daily

Other:
Keto Shampoo 3x weekly
Nano Shampoo 3x weekly
Theradome Daily

Fin/Dut user - 17 years.

HT w/ Dr. Diep March 2014 - 1500 grafts hair line
 10/18/2002 01:04 PM

Author Icon
bimmer
Prolific Poster

Stupid question, what's an SOD?
 10/18/2002 01:15 PM

Author Icon
loosinitfas
Occasional Poster

Ive had good results from generic. I think it like any other drug you just pay more for the name brand. Minox is Minox and Ive had very minute amounts of dandruff. so I say save the $$ and use it on Toppik. Toppik is a great cover up if used correctly
 10/18/2002 01:15 PM

Author Icon
Farrel

Q: What is a SOD?

A: Superoxide dismutase. This is an enzyme produced by the body to neutralize the superoxide radical. Superoxide is a messenger of inflammation and is involved in the body's autoimmune response. It exists in a yin-yang relationship with nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a vasodilator that appears to be important for hair growth, while superoxide is a vasoconstrictor that may be part of the signaling mechanism that tells hair to stop growing. Superoxide can also interact with nitric oxide to form a highly destructive free radical called peroxynitrite, which causes protein and lipid oxidation. A few hair products contain copper peptides, which are SOD mimetics; i.e., mimic the effects of the body's SOD enzyme. SOD-containing products have been noted a number of times by researchers to stimulate hair growth and block hair loss in mice. Recent study data on Tricomin, a copper peptide SOD, indicates increased hair growth in MPB. Among other beneficial things, SODs appear to help spare growth-stimulating nitric oxide, reduce damaging inflammation, and help reverse fibrosis (follicular scarring). There are a few patents for SODs as hair growth stimulators and even one for an SOD inhibitor that blocks hair growth by increasing superoxide.

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
Statistics
31741 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1098 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1104 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc