hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: After 2 years on generic 1mg finasteride and no issues, I'm suddenly having sides
Topic Summary: This happend right when my pharmacy started giving me a different brand of generic fin
Created On: 07/13/2017 12:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/13/2017 12:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rrosen
Prolific Poster

I'm almost 23 years old. I'm very healthy overall. No notable lifestyle changes recently either.

I started 1mg of generic finasteride about 2 years ago. I got it from a local pharmacy (Wal-Mart).

For the longest time, the pills were pink in the shape of a perfect circle. Had no issues or sides on those (maybe a little when I first started, like ball ache, pectoral ache, maybe somewhat lower libido (although that could've been in my head) but I figured that was mainly my body getting used to the drug, and they seemed to have went away quickly - and I've been perfectly fine throughout those 2 years. Horny as ever.

Just recently, I started get side effects. Just a lower libido. Nothing else.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but this started happening exactly as I started a new brand of generic finasteride. It wasn't my choice - my pharmacy just gave me a different type all of a sudden. This different brand of generics are shaped like a hexagon.

Could it really be the different brand that's making a difference?

Should I try to see if my pharmacy can order the previous type I was getting?

-------------------------
Finasteride
Revita Shampoo
 07/13/2017 11:32 AM

Author Icon
rrosen
Prolific Poster

Bump

Finasteride
Revita Shampoo
 07/14/2017 11:01 PM

Author Icon
Quasimoto
Regular Poster

The ugly truth with the drug, you can suddenly experience sides after years of usage.
Like any other drug, your body docent cooperate with it.

It´s right in front of our noses.
 07/16/2017 08:12 AM

Author Icon
Jackers09
Regular Poster

Anyone starting fin or dut should have a test done before they start. You should test all of your hormone levels. You would then have your Free T and DHT levels as well as other of course. Then, when this happened you could test yourself again and see if your levels have dropped too low. If they have then you would have to make a decision if you would cut back to .75 or .5 a day to see if you could get your levels back up again. Right now I am guessing you have nothing to go on though. I would suggest you get your levels checked. If you are too low then that would explain your sides.

There could be more advances in treatments if the government would get out of the way!!
 07/16/2017 01:38 PM

Author Icon
Quasimoto
Regular Poster

Beyond my understanding that people inhale it.
It docent matter if you get whatever tests done, since the substance docent belong in our system, and the body is constantly trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Simple math is if you get serious sides you will definitely regrow hair (hair is the actual side effect of the drug)

It´s right in front of our noses.
 07/17/2017 06:47 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

I'm guessing the more recent finasteride is actually a little stronger then the first.

I would take 1/2 pill for several weeks and then go back to one a day. Your body
just needs time to re-adjust to the new doseage.
 07/17/2017 01:39 PM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

@rrosen different pills may have different excipents and that may affect the metabolism in the body.

However, it could be completely coincidental, I would suggest carrying on and seeing if your lower libido becomes a problem.

Also, temperature/climate might be a factor? As generally, when its really hot, people have a lower lidido.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 07/26/2017 09:09 AM

Author Icon
z99x
Accomplished Poster

RR,

It's likely that finasteride is causing your lowered-libido. A similar thing happened to me where I experienced bad libidinal sides about 8 months in. I tried everything I could to blames the sides on other factors, but the reality was that it was the Fin.

Not to scare you and I realize I am in the minority, but I experienced Post-Fin symptoms for years after I discontinued taking it in March of 2012. To this day, I still am probably affected by Post-Fin symptoms, but in a VERY minor way. I think I was about 80% recovered after the first year off of Fin and I think every year I have made incremental progress since. Currently, I would say that I am close to 95% recovered, but part of that could be due to age not the drug.

The moral of the story is, I tried to power through the sides for 2-3 months and I think that it made my ultimate recovery longer as a result. Again, I think I am a rare case and believe in Fin's safety profile. Just my 2 cents.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 07/27/2017 06:52 AM

Author Icon
sunchyme1
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: z99x

RR,

It's likely that finasteride is causing your lowered-libido. A similar thing happened to me where I experienced bad libidinal sides about 8 months in. I tried everything I could to blames the sides on other factors, but the reality was that it was the Fin.

Not to scare you and I realize I am in the minority, but I experienced Post-Fin symptoms for years after I discontinued taking it in March of 2012. To this day, I still am probably affected by Post-Fin symptoms, but in a VERY minor way. I think I was about 80% recovered after the first year off of Fin and I think every year I have made incremental progress since. Currently, I would say that I am close to 95% recovered, but part of that could be due to age not the drug.

The moral of the story is, I tried to power through the sides for 2-3 months and I think that it made my ultimate recovery longer as a result. Again, I think I am a rare case and believe in Fin's safety profile. Just my 2 cents.

you still using proxiphen man?

I Suffered from pfs too. *****ing awful drug. have you looked into cdnuts protocol? a lifestyle guys with pfs adopt for a while to get their hormones functioning properly again. interesting stuff. hes currently active on swolesource.com. they have a post finasteride syndrome section there for guys wanting to get rid of their long lasting sides
 07/31/2017 07:43 AM

Author Icon
z99x
Accomplished Poster

Hey Chyme,

How you been brother? Yes, I am going on 5 years with Proxiphen/Nano shampoo combo. I use it 5 days a week (Nano 4-5 days a week), but am going to switch to 4 days a week soon MWF and 1 weekend day. I have been pretty happy with it, I go through the ups/downs of bad hair months; but, for the most part, I have maintained my hair since starting 5 years ago. Did you ever try it? What is your regimen now.

Regarding side effects, I am aware of cdnut's protocol and it sounds like solid advice. I still believe that time is the biggest factor in recovery from the drug. I would say this year, 5 years off of Fin, I feel the best since taking the drug. Each year I seem to improve at least slightly. Tell me about your history of usage and PFS (symptoms, length affected, etc..), I am curious to hear from a fellow pfs sufferer.

At this point, I don't want to get on any type of serious protocol because I am SO close to 100% recovery. Of course, I am always looking for life style changes which could improve overall health and libido.

One final point, I have been on proxiphen since about a month after dropping Fin. A part of me thinks that my 95% improvement would jump to 99% if I discontinued it. Prox contains Spiro and while Spiro is only a "so-so" (Bryan Shelton's words) anti-androgen, I think I am a person who is very susceptible to sides from AAs. I just can't bring myself to drop it.

Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.
 07/31/2017 04:26 PM

Author Icon
sunchyme1
Accomplished Poster

hey man glad your getting better

no i never did try proxiphen though i always did like the look of it. was just a bit too expensive for me at the time and after i got pfs i gave up on treatments for a while.

i used fin for a year around 3 years ago with excellent regrowth. but during that year i gradually started to feel more and more unwell in my overall well being. sexually, i was fine (i think). my libido was actually higher. but the drug made me very un well. depression, personality changes, low energy, i could go on. at the time i had no what the fck was happening to me. i was only looking out for sexual sides, which i didnt really get. after one year, i was in such bad shape i quit all treatments together (fin, min and niz), just through being un well. i thought maybe the fin was fcking with me, but i wasnt sure. i thought it could have something else like stress or something

anyway after a year or so of researching the drug after through propeciahelp, solvepfs and then swolesource it was clear fin was the problem. and the sides i experienced so did a lot of other guys. i quit the drug cold turkey (which i now know was a mistake), and crashed badly 2 weeks later (a commonly reported occurrence when dropping this drug). i felt great 2 weeks after stopping it, back to normal when my dht levels bounced back, but when i crashed my symptoms re appeared and stayed with me.

like i said, at the time i had no fcking what was going on. its only after a lot research i found out what was happening to me.

so its been around 2/3 years since i quit and i agree with you, time has been the best healer. i have gradually improved and my sides are slowly going away. i found cd nuts protocol maybe a year or so ago but havent yet properly gone for it. ive had spells of doing various aspects of it but always fallen off due to lack of discipline. no doubt following it properly for a year or so will get you back to normal. its been a success with so many people its hard to dispute it. its just basic healthy living. nothing more.

but this shit was scary man. not knowing what was wrong with me or how to fix it. fcking with your hormones is no joke. im 100% sure people can get back to normal by following this protocol i just need to be more disciplined. going without booze or any bad food whatsoever for a year wont be easy

so right now, i am probably a nw4ish. (Fin and min got me back to nw2ish). ive restarted min again, which gave me no sides and am looking to use zix. a cheap homemade topical that apparently block dht only in the scalp. had a lot of success stories with it back in the day. i just think it loss popularity because topicals are a fcking pain in the ass and it takes ages to notice results, like with all the drugs. so ill be trying this and if i get any sign of sides again im dropping it

aside from that, im just gonna focus on getting myself to being healthy again and looking forward to, or i should say hope, for new treatments to come out in the next few years that can stop hair loss without giving any sides. once that technology is available, ill get myself a ht.

until then im just gonna suck up being a baldie lol
Statistics
36217 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 329 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 329 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc