hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Success story: Hair Regrowth while on HRT
Topic Summary: Hormone replacement therapy reverted my AGA
Created On: 08/31/2016 09:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/31/2016 09:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chillvisio
Occasional Poster

Please, note that the following information is related only to transgender individuals and shows the extent to which one might regrow her hair while on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). If you are a cisgender person it will be the worst possible idea to go on HRT as a hair regrowth, unless you do not care loosing your male scent, fertility, male sex drive, lots of body hair, masculinity and grow a pair of boobs I've noticed that many transgender persons are browsing and writing here, so I decided to share my story with hope that it might be helpful for some of them.

Please, also note that I'm on a DIY HRT regimen and this is not a safe way to transition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 36 years old. I was loosing my hair since I was 30. It was constantly making me less and less confident. I already had gender dysphoria, but was in denial and didn't want to accept myself and to disclose it to anyone. I was a diffuse balder. Thankfully it's all in history right now, since after I started my medical transition my hair reacted to the meds.

I moved and update all my pictures to Imgur. Please, take a look at my hair regrowth timeline at http://imgur.com/a/HP27E

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates to my regimen and blood work data:

Update Dec 3 2015: After about a week I started losing my libido and my sebum production was limited also to zero. As a result my face was drier and even my nose which used to become oily only about an hour after taking a shower became dry too. There were no other physical changes, but only psychological ones: I felt good, no more depressed, my mind was clearer.

Update Dec 8 2015: I decided to take 100mg of Androcur only for three weeks and then go to test my liver enzymes and my hormone levels. Then I will lower my Androcur dose to 75mg divided in 50mg dose at 9AM and (half pill) 25mg dose at 9PM. Then I will go to test my T and E2 levels again and one more time lower the Androcur dose to 50mg each day at 9AM. If I were lucky enough I might even lower the dose to 25mg and maintain my T at castrate/female levels.

Update Dec 12 2015: I started noticing some short but pigmented hairs appearing on the surface of my hearline. It was a good sing and was such a motivator that I was doing the right thing.

Update Dec 16 2015: It is my last day on 100mg of Androcur. I am crossing fingers and going to the lab for my tests tomorrow morning. I will get back with the results shortly. In the mean time more short hairs were popping on my hearline making the gaps between them look more and more insignificant. Oh, God, I lost all this hair thanks to DHT Estradiol is bringing them back to life and it is so so cute!

Update Dec 17 2015: I've updated my regimen and right now it is like that:
5 mg of Fin/Proscar (mornings at 9)
75 mg of Androcur divided in two doses of 50mg (9AM and 9PM)
2 mg Estrofem (afternoons at 3.30)

Update Dec 18 2015: My blood work results are here:
Liver enzymes
AST (GOT): 15.25 U/l (ref. range for women <32)
ALT (GPT): 21.49 U/l (ref. range for women <33)
Hormones
Estradiol: 50.4 pg/ml
Testosterone: 22 ng/dl

No matter that I have virtually no testosterone I do not get tired easily. I am am doing long distance walking since 2012 of about 7-9 miles each day and I did not notice anything unusual beside having more appetite after my workouts which seems to be because my about year long depression is gone since I started my regimen.
My shading on MPB affected areas has stopped.

Update Dec 27 2015: I've updated my regimen and right now it looks like this:
5 mg of Fin/Proscar (mornings at 9)
75 mg of Androcur divided in two doses of 50mg (9AM and 9PM)
2 mg Estrofem (mornings at 10) & 2 measures of Oestrogel equivalent to 3 mg of oral 17ß-Estradiol (evenings at 10)

As you may see, I increased my estradiol dosage, as my last estradiol levels were quite low, while my T levels were at castrate and it is generally not a good idea to stay low on sex hormones. I hope to see better results next month.
I noticed that my breast buds started to develop. A tiny (about the size of a green pea seed) hard tissue is forming beyond my nipple area. It is sort of painful to touch.

Update Jan 6 2016: My new blood work results are here:
Hormones
Estradiol: 85.68 pg/ml
Testosterone: 26 ng/dl

Estradiol levels are higher than three weeks ago, thanks to my added night dose of trans-dermal 17ß-Estradiol. I have noticed accelerated breast development since increasing my Estradiol. I am no longer checking my hair regrowth progress every day and this makes me less depressed. I am doing it each week instead. While my hair is getting longer I also notice further progress with new terminal hairs appearing at my hair line (it is easier to notice them there if your hair is kinda long). They become longer each week. I'm afraid that Estradiol on its own will take at least two years to have some good results. Meanwhile I started thinking about an orchie as an ultimate chance to keep my regrowth while discontinuing Cyproterone Acetate, as it will no longer be needed.

Update Feb 8 2016: My new blood work results are here:
Hormones
Testosterone: 28 ng/dl (just 2 ng/dl up from my last blood work while on 75 mg of cypro)
Estradiol: 82.28 pg/ml (sadly even lower than last times when it was 85.68 pg/ml and lower than recommended at least 125 pg/ml for feminizing regimes)

And I am updating my regimen to:
5 mg Finasteride
2 mg Estrofem 9am, 2 mg Estrofem at 4pm, 2 measures of Oestrogel (equals 3mg pill PO) 10pm.

Update Mar 1 2016: My new blood work results are here:
Hormones:
Estradiol 95.37 pg/ml
Testosterone: 13 ng/dl (down a lot, hopefully due to increased estradiol dose)
<!--OUCH--!> Prolactin: 213 ng/ml (10 tilmes above normal levels)

My prolactin levels are significantly elevated (hyperprolactinemia) and I suspect that it might be due to Androcur, so I am discontinuing it by slowly decreasing dose from 50 mg to 25 mg the next two days, to 12.5 mg the last one. It is also possible that I might have prolactinoma, so MRI is a must have.

Update Mar 7 2016: My new blood work results are here:
Prolactin: 37.11 ng/ml (still above normal levels, but down 5.7 times - abt 3 days after stopping Androcur)
Testosterone: 20 ng/dl (up a bit after stopping Androcur, due to it stopped suppressing the Adrenal testosterone production)
MRI result (costed a lot of money, but was necessary to do): No pituitary adenoma, all clear.

I will avoid Androcur, as it has dopamine inhibitor properties, and dopamine is the prolatin production suppressor, so it is able to significantly increase prolactin levels which if stays like this longer is not healty.

Update Mar 15 2016: Changes to my regimen:
As I told you, I discontinued Androcur usage, because it was elevating my prolactin levels significantly. I've also reduced my estradiol dose to only two 2 mg pill a day (10am/10pm). Here is my HRT:
4 mg Estrofem under the tongue (2mg AM/2mg PM)
5 mg Finasteride
50 mg Spironoloactone

Update May 14 2016: Changes to my regimen:
I've adjusted my HRT by increasing Spiro to 100mg a day (50mg at 10am, 50mg at 8pm):
4 mg Estrofem under the tongue (2mg AM/2mg PM)
5 mg Finasteride
100 mg Spironoloactone (50mg AM/50mg PM)

In the meantime my temples started to fill in and my hairline is still recovering from DHT.

Update May 20 2016: Changes to my regimen:
Despite discontinuing Cypro almost 3 months ago and being on only 50 mg of Spiro untill last week, the hormone levels in blood work came out just fine:
Estradiol 109 pg/ml
Testosterone 24 mg/dl

Update Aug 25 2016: Changes to the way I take estradiol pills and new bloodwork:
I changed the way I take the estradiol hemihydrate pills from sublingual to sublabial (between my gums and my lower lip. It makes the pill dissolve slowly, and less of the ingredient gets swallowed with the saliva.
I discontinued Cypro about 6 months ago and last Monday (Aug 22) I did my usual blood work and here are the results:
Estradiol 88 pg/ml
Testosterone 9 mg/dl

My testosterone is very low, but I am definitely not missing it, neither I feel any negative effects from its extremely low levels. I'm doing HIIT (interval) training each morning and walk about 3 miles each day, but I do not feel loss of energy or something similar.
My hair is still regrowing and I see new terminal hairs appearing on my hairline and temples each time I check for progress. I no longer need to think about my hair all the time.

Update Feb 13 2017: Changes to my regimen:
6 mg Estrofem under the tongue (2 mg 10am / 2 mg 4pm / 2mg 10pm)
100 mg Spironolactone (50 mg 9:50am / 50 mg 8pm)
5 mg Finasteride (9:50am)

I increased my estradiol dosage, because my boob growth slowed. In the same time hair regrowth didn't stop.

Update Apr 22 2017: Changes to my regimen:
4 mg Estrofem under the tongue (2 mg 10am / 2mg 10pm)
100 mg Spironolactone (50 mg 9:50am / 50 mg 8pm)
5 mg Finasteride (9:50am)

Due to shortage of Estrofem pills in my country I had to lower my dose back to 4mg. A week later I'm experiencing no mood issues and only a little bit drier sking than on 6mg. There was some progress still happening to my hairline as new hairs are filling in the gaps between other regrown hairs.

HRT can do wonders to your hair follicles, but is also good at feminizing. If you're trans you get all the wanted effects of hormone therapy plus the hair regrowth. If you're not, all that you get is hair regrowth, but then you're going to live with gender dysphoria (the sense of living in the body of the opposite gender is not something you would do to yourself for having some hair. It's too big of a sacrifice for a cisgender person

-------------------------
My HRT & hair regrowth regimen:
Estrofem 4mg SL (2mg am / 2mg pm)
Spironolactone 100mg (50mg am / 50mg pm)
Finasteride 5mg

Edited: 04/30/2017 at 04:47 AM by chillvisio
 08/31/2016 08:40 PM

Author Icon
dreamin
Accomplished Poster

yaay! ...so glad you're experiencing regrowth, and that you're not fretting nearly as much as you said you used to girl **HUGS***

_totally_ jelly of your PRETTYYYYY hands & perfect nails! *^.^* ...my hands need _lots_ of work, and mah nails come 'n go ;p ....i wonder if your strong cypro usage earlier-on similarly led to castration earlier, thus the oestrogel + oral estradiol really was able to work its magic more rapidly than when you switched to spiro? i've only been on spiro as far as the medical-grade AA component of my regimen, and my transition has been pretty freakin' slow (except for my breasts), despite being on 'standards of care' dosages of everything...

very nice & *thorough* account of your hair regrowth in terms of your transition<3 ...top notch!!

What I've got going on
 09/01/2016 06:46 AM

Author Icon
ukw
Regular Poster

But why were you suddenly virilizing unexpectedly around age 30? You weren't going through puberty at that age, what was going on? Were you taking something or doing something ?
 09/01/2016 08:26 AM

Author Icon
chillvisio
Occasional Poster

@dreamin Thank you again for you support! If it weren't people like you, KWIH and Raditude, maybe I would never had the courage to start my HRT. Your journey was inspirational for me.
My first hormonal blood work came with really high T levels, but it's really strange that after chemically castrating myself I've never felt low energy or loss of motivation of any sort, so it seems that my brain and my body liked E2 My facial feminization is not a true success story, because I already have some masculine features which might be undone only by FFS, but overall I feel better now than before.

@ukw I have no idea. My male puberty was progressing very slowly and 17y/o I barely had a few body hairs on my legs and my chest. I looked this way when I was 21y/o:

I was obviously not the most masculine person on earth

I had eating disorder and was obese for many years and starting from late winter of 2012 until fall 2012 I lost 110lbs. In the same time I started body building without any pro-hormones or anything that should contribute to more virilizing. I was losing my hair at higher speed about an year before starting body building. I'm currently loosing muscles at high rate and doing HIIT while having protein restrictive diet. I suspect that I might have some intersex condition that was never diagnosed and probably I may have partial testosterone insensitivity, but it's just my guess. Virilizing made my my struggle with gender dysphoria even worse.

Finasteride 5mg
 09/01/2016 01:38 PM

Author Icon
ukw
Regular Poster

You don't have hairy arms. Moreover, the initial photos show a rounded face indicating water retention and hence potentially *low* testosterone.

However, the last pre-HRT photo shows a far more masculine face where the baby fat disappeared and the face got leaner and more masculine, with more defined cheekbones. That is higher T. So maybe weightlifting somehow caused a T spike, or sudden weight loss did. This is more proof that exercise, athleticism, weight loss and so on are risky for hair.

One question, did you have a libido spike during this period? Greasy hair?

Thanks again for sharing.
 09/01/2016 02:06 PM

Author Icon
chillvisio
Occasional Poster

Ouch! Now many things have their answers. Before loosing my weight combined with weightlifting I probably had very low T. I had almost no morning woods and my gender dysphoria was lower comparing to a few months after getting on my crash diet and weightlifting. I had some troubles with my girlfriend during the pre-bodybuilding period and had almost nonexistent libido. After weight loss and weightlifting started my male libido spiked and I felt very bad about it. I was nervous and very angry/aggressive all the time and I attributed that to my changes to diet (it was keto at that time), but probably it was due to high T. After cutting the T with Cypro I felt so relaxed and calm.

It is probably the dumbest thing ever what I've done with weightlifting. I was back then in denial, trying to convince myself that I will probably feel better if I get more masculine, something I terribly regret now

Thanks a lot for the tips! They were really helpful for men and I am thankful about it.

P.S. Since puberty started my hair was always greasy and even with my lowest T levels if I just stop Spiro for a week my face starts getting sebum again. It looks like my sebum glands are very sensitive.

Finasteride 5mg

Edited: 09/01/2016 at 02:24 PM by chillvisio
 09/02/2016 09:44 AM

Author Icon
dreamin
Accomplished Poster

always welcome girl, super-happy it was of use to you!

...and i was suspecting the very thing that ukw perfectly articulated. tho it makes even semi-vigorous activity fairly laborious for me, i'm glad i've not been contributing towards boosting T by not (deliberately) exercising. however i may end-up having to do this anyway to improve my health *;-;*

What I've got going on
 09/03/2016 01:01 AM

Author Icon
chillvisio
Occasional Poster

Thankfully as long as the fabrics are suppressed one might exercise as much as possible I was example of the opposite, but I'm happy that the hormone that was poisoning my body and my mind represents no longer a thread.

Finasteride 5mg
 04/30/2017 05:01 AM

Author Icon
chillvisio
Occasional Poster

Updated my progress with new pictures organized in a single gallery.
Because of already leaving stealth I had to remove the face on my pre-transition pictures.

Finasteride 5mg
Statistics
36189 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 230 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 230 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc