hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I quit minoxidil 4 months ago and have a question
Topic Summary: And yes going through the dreaded shed
Created On: 06/02/2013 04:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/02/2013 04:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

Final update: My hair after around 2/3 years after quitting on page 21

update 2: more pics on page 5

Edit update: Pics on page 3

Hi guys.

Now as the thread subtitle says, i'm going through the shed right now. The hair i've been losing are disappearing from the "exact" spots of where i've applied minox. It's like a rounding line from temple to temple that travel through the middle of my head to each other in a curve. Also from the vertex area towards the hairline. And the hairline has receded a great deal

I had used minoxidil for 5 and a half months before deciding to quit. The reason why I quit is because I saw a great increase of wrinkles showing up on the top of my head (ya'll don't have to believe me. I've seen many people arguing this as false, but please have faith in my sincerity), the puffiness under my eyes and a bloated face. It wasn't that bad, but it did kind of annoy me sometimes as not only had I lost a lot of hair, but the minox also made me a lot uglier. The minox I used was 5% from kirkland. Basically in short the results were very depressing.

Been lurking around lots of forums. And I think its strange how google doesnt result like any thread where someone describes the "after shed" experience. And when they do, they accept the fact it will come back after a couple of months, and then never reply back to describe or show the results.

I am a 23 year old healthy person that used to have VERY thick hair when starting minox. No signs of thinning anywhere besides a little bit of a receding hairline. Which I understand to be normal around this age. I saw it as a bad sign so I started using minox. Very stupid decision as I look back. The question that I have is, will I get back that hair in the upcoming months? Has anyone got their hair back after the shed?

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 09:48 AM by DjA
 06/02/2013 07:09 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

In this study minox was discontinued after 96 weeks. The treatment groups did drop below placebo 4 months later, and then caught back up. To my knowledge there are no similar studies.

The bottom line is that you won't end up worse than you would have had you done nothing.

-------------------------
NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 06/02/2013 07:47 PM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

Thanks. I think it's gonna be good if I keep this topic updated every month so there can finally be a thread for people in this situation. I had been searching a lot for 1 person that has shared his experience when actually getting BACK his hair after making a big mistake like mine. Using minoxidil with a head full of thick hair being that mistake. But found literally none. I almost felt like they were filtered out. Or maybe people are really that convinced that stopping could mean the end of their lives by all the scary things u read so they never even got past the "dreaded shed"

I just wanna say this to people that would visit this thread. While balding sucks, Being attacghed to a treatment for every day of your life is worse. I am not even upset about have lost the hair. I'm more upset towards my stupidity being the cause.

If you're thinning or balding, you will feel a lot better knowing it was simply nature rather than a stupid mistake you've done yourself. Well at least in my experience anyway. Don't create the slightest chance of a possibility, that your balding is caused by whatever product you used. Cuz you will get upset even if its not proven to be the case, and actually isnt the case. Our mind can play dirty games with us. Maybe i'm just weak, but this is for those who'll be able to relate

One thing's for sure, i've learned a lot from this experience. Life is not that long, and even then the good part of life only lasts for at least 40 years. We'll all die eventually so wasting it on insecurity instead of accepting fate is a waste of time.

Anyway, thanks again bro
 06/02/2013 07:59 PM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DjA
I just wanna say this to people that would visit this thread. While balding sucks, Being attacghed to a treatment for every day of your life is worse. I am not even upset about have lost the hair. I'm more upset towards my stupidity being the cause.

The study I referenced does not suggest that you will end up worse off than had you never used minox.

Yes, the treatment-to-discontinuation crossover groups did briefly drop below placebo, but let's face it: if you aren't using fin or some effective topical AA, you're gonna end up well below baseline shortly anyway.

We'll all die eventually so wasting it on insecurity instead of accepting fate is a waste of time.

In one study 86% of men had better hair ten years after the start of fin alone than they did on day 1.

21% continued to add hair between years 5 and 10.

In this context I have to disagree that hair loss is "fate" for the majority of men. Maybe that was the case in 1983 and 1991, but it doesn't seem to be the case today.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

06/02/2013 08:06 PM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

Sorry for the missunderstanding. I meant "temporary" loss

I don't mind becoming bald in the future so if I end up below baseline soon naturally, then i wont care much.

Oh the fate thing is just a figure of speech btw
 06/03/2013 07:14 AM

Author Icon
dogs3
Accomplished Poster

To be completely clear here, and D2 correct me if I'm wrong. But he is saying that you won't end up worse than you would have had you never taken minox. He isn't saying your hair will revert to pre minox state. Simply that the speed or aggressiveness of MPB will not be affected by the minox you took at all now that you're off of it.

However, You have used minox for 5.5 months. In that time minox has obviously helped regrow some hair, and no one knows how bad you would have gotten had you never taken it. So perhaps you have aggressive MPB and it could be that you will keep getting worse very quickly.

Bottom line is if you don't use any meds you will keep on losing if you have MPB, aggressive or not. Is there any reason why you can't get back on minox or use propecia?
 06/03/2013 11:20 AM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

Yo thanks for preparing me for the worst.

However, You have used minox for 5.5 months. In that time minox has obviously helped regrow some hair, and no one knows how bad you would have gotten had you never taken it. So perhaps you have aggressive MPB and it could be that you will keep getting worse very quickly.

It hasn't helped

I expect my hairline to be a bit less than pre minox(maturing hairline that got me on minox in the first place), and a little bit of thinning on some places. But definitely not how it looks now cuz my hair looks worse than all of my older brothers(3 of em, and which wasn't even slightly the case pre minox). I walk with a cap everyday now cuz i'm very ashamed how drastic the hairloss has been within the last month especially. From where I can draw references, I know my family is known to have good genes when it comes to keeping their hair. My dad and all my uncles still have their hair around their age of 50. My mom's side uncles all have their hair at that age as well.

I know we can't be certain, and we wouldn't be able to argue this because it really comes down to vague evidence that only I have access to, but I am convinced my hair would have looked better the last 5.5 months if I never started using it. The side effects and being stuck using that product for the rest of my life would be terrible and inconvenient. Like if I went swimming at the beaches in the morning, i'd be held back by this stupid medicine. I'd rather live a natural life without meds and feel satisfied with the natural results. I love my hair, but I look fine without hair as well. When I was with minox, i'd milimeter my hair and since then i've gotten very used to it.

The reason why I don't wanna go back is because living on medicine sucks. Whenever I had the thought of going back, I was reminded how relieving it was to not be stuck with it and not having to think about it. . Living an "unnatural" life is how i'd describe it in short. And I feel very bad for those who still spend the money and use it every day.

Basically in short: Acceptance of hairloss and worriless life> Regaining some hair and being stuck with a stressful regimen

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 12:07 PM by DjA
 06/03/2013 02:16 PM

Author Icon
dogs3
Accomplished Poster

Well, live and let live I suppose. But I've been popping one pill a day since 2007 which literally takes less than 1 second out of my day and my hair is still better now than it was 7 years ago. I take the pill and forget about it, no stress whatsoever.

However, if you are determined to stay med free, I respect that. But I would bet my life savings that your hair will not improve from where it is now, it's going to get worse, that's just what MPB does. But since you said you look fine without hair that's definitely a plus. Some guys dont look good rocking the bald look.
 06/03/2013 04:34 PM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

How are you so sure about that? I mean correct me if i'm wrong. But do you mean chances are small that my hair will look satisfactory after restoring? That it will look bad because it would have looked bad in that 9 months anyway? You're being kind of premature and I wonder why. It's almost like you're saying that the chances are high people around my age lose their hair to the degree of where it becomes noticeable, while I don't see that around me at all. I'd be less surprised if you said something like, wait it out and your might probably look decent again.

If it's true that the hair will restore to the state of what it would be if I never used the minox, then I expect it to look satisfactory.

I'll update this thread each month. If you are right, then i'll defo blame it partially on the medicine. Because as i've said, my hair was unbelievably thick before I started the medicine.

Doesn't propecia affect your libido and possibly cause impotence?

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 05:05 PM by DjA
 06/03/2013 10:09 PM

Author Icon
Pieman2005
Accomplished Poster

I take finasteride and have as much sex as I want lol ... results may vary!

-.5mg fin daily 12/12 - 9/14
-1.25mg fin daily 9/14 - 12/15
-.5mg dut weekly since 12/15
-minox 5% 1x daily since 5/13
 06/03/2013 10:48 PM

Author Icon
dogs3
Accomplished Poster

How are you so sure about that? I mean correct me if i'm wrong. But do you mean chances are small that my hair will look satisfactory after restoring? That it will look bad because it would have looked bad in that 9 months anyway? You're being kind of premature and I wonder why. It's almost like you're saying that the chances are high people around my age lose their hair to the degree of where it becomes noticeable, while I don't see that around me at all. I'd be less surprised if you said something like, wait it out and your might probably look decent again.

If it's true that the hair will restore to the state of what it would be if I never used the minox, then I expect it to look satisfactory.

I'll update this thread each month. If you are right, then i'll defo blame it partially on the medicine. Because as i've said, my hair was unbelievably thick before I started the medicine.

fin affects about 1% of men according to studies, which I hold in higher regard than people on forums. But since you asked, It doesn't have any effect on my sex drive at all. In fact, I take a much stronger version of fin called avodart, this also hasn't had any effect on my sex drive, just more hair.

But to the main point here... I think there's some confusion.. DecadeTwo was saying that your hair will LOOK as if you never used minox, certainly not RESTORE. Which means that your hair as it is right now could be simply what it looks like had you never used minox, so perhaps minox was helping maintain, and without it you will continue to recede at this rate.

OR

Perhaps you are right and minox was in fact not helping, perhaps it was even hurting. In this case maybe you will stabilize and not lose any more hair for now. (or just slowly recede if you have MPB. (remember, if you do have MPB and you don't use meds you WILL lose more hair, whether it is now or a month or a year from now. That fact is disputed by no member on this forum. Top Hair transplant docs always say the same thing: If MPB has kicked in, one year from now your hair will be worse than it is today without the aid of meds.

The bottom line is whether you want to do something about it. If you are willing to keep losing then that's fine. But if you want to restore your hair you must get on meds. The whole propecia causing sexual sides idea is well blown out of proportion. My advice is to do research. Google propecia studies and look at the side effect profile. You don't even have to take my word for it just read the studies, for god's sake the placebo group had about the same amount of men claiming sexual sides. If you are really serious about preventing further loss you need meds, and if you are serious and don't bother with them I'm afraid you are in a tough road ahead.

I hate to be negative I'm just trying to be straightforward. Minox didn't work for you, fine, move on to plan B and start reading up on propecia.

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 10:55 PM by dogs3
 06/03/2013 10:52 PM

Author Icon
dogs3
Accomplished Poster

06/04/2013 06:14 AM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

Yeah maybe it's not so bad to expect the worst. I guess you are being reasonable.

The reason why I lean more towards a "recovery" is because the hair has been shedding like crazy within a month of time. Or maybe 2 months since I had my hair grow a bit. The first 2 months were a bit okay, the 3rd I had long hair so I didn't notice anything, and when I cut it the past month it now looks very similar to the minox shedding phase.

I think what gives it the way the most is that the places where it's shedding, are the exact same spots where I aplied the minox. I know that minox effects the whole head, but especially where i've aplied the minox, it's very thin right now. But I do actually see a lot of stubbles on the skin. Could that mean anything?

I don't wanna go back to use any medicine. For me it's like a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me situation. These have been the most depressing 9 months ever in my life and by now i'd rather go bald than being stuck with a regimen. I just want things to get back to normal ASAP so I can leave it all behind me. Whatever normal is supposed to be. If what I have now is my bassline, whatever. Live with it I guess. I see lots of people around me bald and feeling more confident than me so those are good examples and a good inspiration for me.
 06/04/2013 08:10 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Too bad you did not take baseline pics.

You seem to be saying that minoxidil causes hair loss in you. This is what you have perceived, just as you have probably also perceived that you were losing hair before you took minoxidil, or you wouldn't have bought minoxidil in the first place.

Then you discontinued minoxidil, because you didn't perceive hair growth, but you perceived more hair loss upon discontinuation. That's another perception that doesn't make a lot of sense. It's generally accepted that the 15% of men that don't respond to minoxidil to a significant extent also do not lose hair upon discontinuation to a significant extent.

So, your perceptions don't really match what we would expect based on decades of data on men using minoxidil, but perceptions also have a tendency of being notoriously unreliable.

The only constant in your account seems to be "hair loss", so maybe that is exactly what's going on.

You should see a dermatologist.

Yes, maybe. A small percentage of men have side-effects. These resolve on their own in many cases. That is what controlled research strongly suggests, but if you spend a lot of time on here it's easy to perceive a larger percentage of men with these side-effects.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

06/04/2013 08:12 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: dogs3
But to the main point here... I think there's some confusion.. DecadeTwo was saying that your hair will LOOK as if you never used minox, certainly not RESTORE. Which means that your hair as it is right now could be simply what it looks like had you never used minox, so perhaps minox was helping maintain, and without it you will continue to recede at this rate.

This is what's going to happen.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

06/04/2013 08:27 AM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

@D2

Lol you guys are really persistent with your claims that should lead towards the meds being the only option. See why don't u guys just let me wait a couple of months, support that, and then see if my hair comes back before u go ahead and say I should do this and that.

Yes my hairline was receding before I started minox. Yes the rest of my hair was super thick during that phase. Yes minoxidil destroyed my hair. Yes my hair looks even worse than ever after quitting it. Yes hairloss is the only constant thing that's been happening since i've been on minox. Even the stupidest person would draw a better conclusion than some so claimed data. Which is minoxidil being the cause. Whether it's true or not is to be seen. But i'm gonna go with the most obvious answer, like an ignorant person would do.

I definitly aknowledge that my hair could have been thinning even if I had never taken the minox. But I wanna wait a couple of months before I can be certain about that.

The internet needs a thread like this for those who wanna quit and get ticked off by people like you and decide to go back using meds and live a bitter life. And tbh if my hair doesnt recover to a satisfactory state, I will forever recommend people to not start using any meds, if only for the fact there even being the slightest chance of possibility it was caused by their own decision of using a hairgrowth product. And that doubt that could lead to feeling of not forgiving oneself is worse. I'd try to convince them that they'll feel a lot better to lose their hair naturally .

None of these meds are permanent. They're products that try to manipulate a natural process for as long you use them.

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 09:17 AM by DjA
 06/04/2013 09:19 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

@D2

Lol you guys are really persistent with your claims that should lead towards the meds being the only option.

I'm not saying that. Going bald is definitely an option. It's real popular in my family. My point is that you are blaming minoxidil-shed for ruining your hair, but in reality you are losing hair it helped you keep, and that is a sign that you are going to be losing a lot more hair.

It's not definite that you have AGA, but it definitely makes sense that you had some response to minoxidil if you discontinue it and notice a cosmetic change.

See how much more simple that is than what you seem to be trying to convince yourself of?

The internet needs a thread like this for those who wanna quit and get ticked off by people like you and decide to go back using meds and live a bitter life.

Just to be clear, I don't think minoxidil is a stand-alone treatment for AGA. If you had asked me about your regimen you'd have gotten a different answer.

I'm just pointing out that you make no sense.

And tbh if my hair doesnt recover to a satisfactory state, I will forever recommend people to not start using any meds, if only for the fact there even being the slightest chance of possibility it was caused by their own decision of using a hairgrowth product.

You'd hardly be the first guy to claim that he never had hair loss until he started taking hair loss medication.

And that doubt that could lead to feeling of not forgiving oneself is worse. I'd try to convince them that they'll feel a lot better to lose their hair naturally .

None of these meds are permanent. They're products that try to manipulate a natural process.

I see a budding bro-scientist.

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier that you seem young, and men who start to notice hair loss at a young age generally lose a lot of hair quickly, and end up with advanced MPHL.

What I'm trying to convey to you is that minoxidil does not make hair wore, so all signs point to aggressive AGA.

Maybe you should see a dermatologist.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

06/04/2013 09:32 AM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

What is a budding bro scientist?

How am I not making sense? If I didn't, wouldn't my hair have at least looked good after the 5.5 months using the med. My hair looked terrible. Not terrible as it does now, but I can clearly remember that day, the day when I decided to quit. Most notable of them all was my vertex/crown area. I was bald there, like litterally bald with a small progressing line towards the scalp. Ever since I quit minox, while the hair is thinner in those areas now than pre minox, I did regain all of the hair in the vertex/scalp area. And thankfully it's still there, but just thinner than ever and hopefully better soon.

What do you think of the stubbles i've mentioned in the previous post? I have a lot of stubbles in the spots where I look thin. It's like hair that may grow thicker in the future hopefully. But if you can share your knowledge i'd apreciate that.

I will see a derm. But I thought it was clear the hairloss i have is a post quitting shed from the graph you had shown. Hope it wont cost too much money because i'm kind of broke lately, which is why im so hesitant about it. I might wait a month.

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 09:44 AM by DjA
 06/04/2013 10:01 AM

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

What is a budding bro scientist?

A bro-scientist can be a lot of things, but someone who makes sweeping generalizations about hair loss medication efficacy based on personal experience definitely fits the bill.

It's not a unique thing on here.

How am I not making sense? If I didn't, wouldn't my hair have at least looked good after the 5.5 months using the med. My hair looked terrible. Not terrible as it does now, but I can clearly remember that day, the day when I decided to quit. Most notable of them all was my vertex/crown area. I was bald there, like litterally bald with a small progressing line towards the scalp. Ever since I quit minox, while the hair is thinner in those areas now than pre minox, I did regain all of the hair in the vertex/scalp area. And thankfully it's still there, but just thinner than ever and hopefully better soon.

The pattern you describe sounds like typical AGA.

Minoxidil puts more hair in the growth phase and makes it thicker. It does not interfere with the balding process. It gives you an "offset" of hair loss which peaks on average in 4 months (sometimes earlier sometimes later), and then hair loss resumes at the same rate as before.

See the graph I posted above.

It sounds like it did give you more hair than you would have had without it -- or you would not have experienced a large shed on discontinuation -- but that was not enough to cosmetically improve you.

All signs point to aggressive AGA.

What do you think of the stubbles i've mentioned in the previous post? I have a lot of stubbles in the spots where I look thin. It's like hair that may grow thicker in the future hopefully. But if you can share your knowledge i'd apreciate that.

As the graph above shows, men on average did briefly drop below placebo on discontinuation, but ended up right with the placebo group, no better and no worse, shortly afterwards.

In other words, they regressed to where they would have been had they never taken it, and that is where you will be.

That will probably be significantly below your pre-treatment baseline if you were able to lose hair that fast on minoxidil.

If you have aggressive AGA you may have lost in 6 months what other men lose in 2 or 3 years or more.

Minoxidil did nothing to slow or stop that, as it does not prevent DHT from miniaturizing your hair, and that is still true when men have mild AGA and are great responders to minox.

I will see a derm. But I thought it was clear the hairloss i have is a post quitting shed from the graph you had shown. Hope it wont cost too much money because i'm kind of broke lately, which is why im so hesitant about it. I might wait a month.

Post a pic of your hair. If you have obvious crown/vertex thinning in a male pattern, with or without a receding hair line, that in and of itself is a typical sign of typical AGA.

NW < 2 since 1999

--Alan I. Leshner

--Logic

--Stevie Wonder

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 10:08 AM by DecadeTwo
 06/04/2013 10:20 AM

Author Icon
DjA
Regular Poster

I wanna post a pic but i'm too lazy. I might make one soon. But i'll tell you that my crown looks great.

Let me just say this. Your conclusions are obviously more based on experience than mine. But I find it so strange how you are not just basing premature conclusions while i'm within, what is proven to be a post shedding phase, but I also find it strange how you're not asking me to wait till the shedding phase is over.

You seem like a clever person. Clever enough to realize that most people that come here aren't very knowledgeable about the things you are talking about. Yet you keep using abbreviations as if I should understand what you are talking about. To me it comes off strange. With 3000 posts, why aren't you trying to level with the average person? Just a question out of curiosity.

Honestly if I were in a position with the knowledge that you have, i'd probably say to others to wait till the post minox shedding is over to see what the actual base line is. It would make more sense when a post minox shedding phase exists in the first place. Something I see mentioned everywhere, the only difference is that the people who are opening the threads, never come back to inform their status after more than 4 months.

But let's summarize it in short. What you meant is that my hair would have looked the same had I not taken minox, and that the balding on the scalp/vertex area I had after the 5.5 months was because it was going through a shedding phase that was gonna result in thicker hair? I still find it strange that my scalp vertex area still looks great during this post shed compared to any shed I had during the usage of minox.

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 10:28 AM by DjA
Statistics
35753 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 626 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 626 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc