hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 27 year old looking for advice - Time to start treatment?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/03/2013 04:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/21/2013 04:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

UPDATE

I've been on 0.5mg fin for over 7 months now. Daily dose after the initial 7 week transition.

Everything seems ok. No side effects and the hair doesn't look to be any worse compared to when I started. I don't think there is any point in posting pictures as it is hard to replicate same lighting conditions and hair length (I go 2 months between hair cuts so my hair length varies between 1.5-3 inches!).

That's all I was really hoping for, maintaining what I have without the need to use Minox if it got any worse. As my original pictures show hair appears slightly thinner on the crown but there is no obvious bald patch so if it stays this way I will be happy.

All I can tell anyone hesitating is to get on the fin and save what you have!
 08/22/2014 03:49 PM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

UPDATE after 17 months

I thought I'd post to encourage people!

I started taking the fin in March 2013. As mentioned above, I built up to a daily 0.5mg which I have been taking diligently (barring the occasionally day I forget). No side effects still.

Most importantly my hair is as good as ever and I might even be able to argue it is better than before. It is difficult to be sure as my hair length always varies and it is difficult to replicate pictures for the same lighting conditions and I've barely taken a comparison shot over the past 17 months.

However, what I can judge by is regular photos over the time. People talk about shedding. I can't be sure as the quantity of hair falling out of my head over the past 17 months on a daily basis didn't really seem to ever increase from what I could see.

However, looking at photos from a year ago my hair at the front was probably thinner than it is now. I guess this could be the proverbial 'shedding' where old 'weak' hair fell out and new 'stronger' hair has grown back.

All I can say is that I'm glad I got on the fin, I'm glad I built up the dose over the 7 weeks and I'm glad I chose a 0.5mg dose. That's the only thing I am taking I have kept my hair and I have no side effects.

I just took a couple photos which I have posted below but I don't know if they are the best comparison to my original post due to the difficulty in replicating lighting conditions, hairstyle etc.

The shot of my crown is taken in bright light and it looks the same as post 1. When I don't do it in bright light you can barely notice any thinning as in post 1.

The front shot looks a little better than post 1 though this may be because I have become good at styling my hair to minimise the appearance of the thinning. In the March 2013 picture post 1 I didn't really bother doing that. However, I do genuinely feel there has been an improvement just by comparing regular photos I take now to those taken a year ago. I doubt it will get any better because if there has been any improvement it would probably have been due to dying hair growing back stronger rather than already dead roots growing. However, as long as there continues to be no further loss then I'm happy!

Get on the fin while you still have hair to save!

09/06/2014 08:35 AM

Author Icon
z99x
Accomplished Poster

C

-------------------------
Disclaimer - I am not a physician or an expert and my advice should not be considered medical/expert advice. - If you follow my opinions and/or advice you do so at your own risk.

Edited: 10/04/2016 at 09:35 AM by z99x
 09/06/2014 09:55 PM

Author Icon
devilhunter
Prolific Poster

I have very similar thinning at the front, finasteride is not going help to regrowth hair in that area... In fact nothing would, but its going to maintain and slow down the shedding....
 08/18/2015 04:10 AM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Update after 2 and a half years

I've reached the point where I've decided to stop taking fin.

My hair is great and fin has done a fantastic job at first improving the hair (particularly at the crown) and then maintaining what I have. However, I am worried about sexual side effects. Erections aren't as strong and maintaining erections can be tricky. It still works downstairs but it needs stimulation and thinking my way to an erection hasn't been happening lately. I took my last 0.5mg pill about a week ago.

I am getting married and the Mrs made it clear, if it's a choice between my hair and or my manhood then I have to choose the manhood!

If I was honest the erections have probably been weaker the whole time I have been on fin but it really hits home now that I have to think about marriage and kids one day - need to make sure I can get the Mrs pregnant after we've had the 2 year honeymoon period!

So no more fin as it's not worth the risk. Here's hoping the DHT levels recover over the next few weeks and the boners return to their pre-fin levels.

However, fin has kept my hair for the past 2 and a half years and probably played a significant role in helping me find the love of my life lol.

I now have to decide how to continue. The wedding is in 3 and a half months. I am considering switching to minoxidil foam but I'm not sure if I should start now or wait till after the wedding.

The thing that makes me think about delaying starting is the potential for a massive hair shed before the wedding. However, as I have been on fin for so long does that mean I won't have a shed? However, I didn't have a shed while I was on fin so I'm not sure how that influences my decision. I was thinking that I can just spend the time up to the wedding and hopefully the hair won't start falling out too quickly. I can then use the Minox in the new year.

Or should I start straight away? Will starting straight away reduce the chances of a shed? Would delaying reduce my chances of keeping what I have with fin?
 08/18/2015 05:14 AM

Author Icon
hungrylikethewolf
Accomplished Poster

You made a big investment for 2.5 years with success. I seriously would look into topical finasteride along with minoxidil like Jazz uses or for some Proxiphen has helped some fin quitters to maintain. Good luck on your wedding and just remember when a women starts giving an ultimatum it could be a red flag in your future. Hope it works out for you.

Edited: 08/18/2015 at 05:21 AM by hungrylikethewolf
 08/18/2015 07:19 AM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: hungrylikethewolf

You made a big investment for 2.5 years with success. I seriously would look into topical finasteride along with minoxidil like Jazz uses or for some Proxiphen has helped some fin quitters to maintain. Good luck on your wedding and just remember when a women starts giving an ultimatum it could be a red flag in your future. Hope it works out for you.

Wouldn't using topical fin have the same effect as taking a pill in terms of lowering DHT levels and side effects?
 08/18/2015 08:07 AM

Author Icon
4myfuture
Accomplished Poster

How do you even get topical finasteride?

Foam - 1x per day
 08/19/2015 02:37 AM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Also wouldn't it be dangerous to go near my (not yet pregnant) wife with topical fin on as she is bound to stroke my hair?
 08/19/2015 07:00 AM

Author Icon
Dench57
Prolific Poster

Thanks for coming back and updating us on your experience after all this time.

Topical Finasteride is pointless.

I would probably wait until after your wedding before you start Minox if you're worried about early shedding. Not much is going to happen to your hair in 3 months.
 08/20/2015 02:56 AM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: Dench57

Thanks for coming back and updating us on your experience after all this time.

Topical Finasteride is pointless.

I would probably wait until after your wedding before you start Minox if you're worried about early shedding. Not much is going to happen to your hair in 3 months.

That's what I was thinking and it seems like the most logical approach.

I have lots of hair and I don't expect it to go too bad in 3 months.
 10/03/2016 03:45 PM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Right one year on....

So the libido went back to normal probably within 3-4 months of quitting in August 2015. It is now October 2016 so has been just over a year away from fin.

I actually had my head shaved 3 weeks ago (a ritual after a religious pilgrimage) so managed to see how a bald head would suit me! The short hair as it grows back looks ok but I have lost hair and there is an obvious bald patch starting to develop on the crown :-S

I never did get on minoxidil foam but finally started using it last week.

The big question, do I dare go back and try fin again? Were the side effects all in the head?

I've talked to the wife and she has given me the go ahead to try again. It's a tricky decision!

I've included pics from a week or so ago. These show my very short hair following my clean shave with about 2 or so weeks of growth.

IMAG0255.jpg
IMAG0255.jpg  (318 KB)
IMAG0256.jpg
IMAG0256.jpg  (682 KB)
IMAG0257.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg  (314 KB)

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 04:05 PM by themainman
 10/17/2016 08:43 AM

Author Icon
devilhunter
Prolific Poster

damn u lost quite a chunk in few months.
 11/08/2016 01:36 AM

Author Icon
vgab1626

Did you ever go back to getting normal boners and staying hard though after you stopped fin for that year? How is it now
 02/03/2017 04:07 PM

Author Icon
themainman
Occasional Poster

Another update.

So I briefly tried a bit of 0.5mg fin for a bit in September but wasn't happy with the side effects maybe in the head or perceived who knows but I decided to drop it.

I instead shifted to Kirkland Minoxidil foam and started using Nizoral shampoo. The results have been great.

As my shaved hair were growing back it was an ideal time to try the foam as any 'shedding' could be blamed on slow regrowth from the recent shave. For a while I was worried with the obvious thin areas on the crown and the front when the hair was initially growing back.

I was relentless with the twice daily foam usage and all I can say is my hair looks great now. The wife thinks it's better than ever in the 2+ years she has known me. No adverse side effects. I have attached a pic I took today. Note the baldness doesn't look that bad as it only looks like that in bright light. Of course my hair is longer and if there was any shedding it has had time to recover.

A can of foam is meant to last a month but I am using extra amounts to make sure it hits the scalp so I get through them in 10-14 days. Will it last who knows? But I'm happy for now.

Oh as for the fin side effects in case anyone is wondering for the time that I was off it for a year my boners got back to 100% in about 3 months. Today I found out that the wife is pregnant so all is well!

IMAG2780.jpg
IMAG2780.jpg  (403 KB)

Edited: 02/03/2017 at 04:15 PM by themainman
 02/05/2017 10:43 AM

Author Icon
Pieman2005
Accomplished Poster

Looks good man congrats

-.5mg fin daily 12/12 - 9/14
-1.25mg fin daily 9/14 - 12/15
-.5mg dut weekly since 12/15
-minox 5% 1x daily since 5/13
Statistics
36226 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 148 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 148 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc