hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hair Loss From Too Much Vitamin A
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/03/2012 08:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2012 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

I've been eating 1-2 sweet potatoes everyday for almost a year now and during this time my hair has gotten way thinner. It blows in the wind easily even if the wind is really mild and my hair is short. I had been noticing my hair thinning for a while but never really knew why and today I started researching and found that too much vitamin A can cause hair loss and sweet potatoes have A LOT of vitamin A. Oh and I recently started taking a multivitamin daily too for the past month which i got from GNC and that has vitamin A in it too. Has anyone had this problem and did your hair grow back? Any help is appreciated. Im a 16 year old guy so im really worried about losing my hair so soon.
 08/03/2012 08:49 PM

Author Icon
samiam
Prolific Poster

With vitamins its a balancing act. Too little of some particular ones or too much can result in more hair loss or slowing of growth.

If you have been having lets say 2 whole sweet potatoes a day that on average means ~30,000IU + multivitamin ~5000IU= 35,000IU of vitamin A daily which is IMO excessively high and can result in hair thinning, hair loss, skin problems, headaches, fatigue etc.

On average aim for around 5000iu a day.
 08/03/2012 08:51 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: raptors

I've been eating 1-2 sweet potatoes everyday for almost a year now and during this time my hair has gotten way thinner. It blows in the wind easily even if the wind is really mild and my hair is short. I had been noticing my hair thinning for a while but never really knew why and today I started researching and found that too much vitamin A can cause hair loss and sweet potatoes have A LOT of vitamin A. Oh and I recently started taking a multivitamin daily too for the past month which i got from GNC and that has vitamin A in it too. Has anyone had this problem and did your hair grow back? Any help is appreciated. Im a 16 year old guy so im really worried about losing my hair so soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ya m going to drop the sweet potato and multivitamin. Could my hair come back if i stop now or is it gone for could?
 08/03/2012 09:20 PM

Author Icon
samiam
Prolific Poster

Unknown. If the only cause was excessive vitamin A then you should be able to regain most of it back but hard to say without looking at scalp and hair etc.

Id say cut down your vitamin A immediately, increase biotin and MSM. Apply some folligen spray to increase anagen phase and cause accelerated regrowth. Wouldnt hurt to nourish your hair and scalp using something like 100% emu oil. Hopefully this will be enough
 08/03/2012 09:41 PM

Author Icon
fuZe
Accomplished Poster

Too much of anything will cause side effects , especially for someone around ur age. I wouldn't touch fin dut or minox yet.. Even the natural stuff might be dangerous when ur on growing phase, id recommend just keeping it short and take maybe hair multivitamin for now..
 08/03/2012 09:50 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Is this he spray your talking about http://www.amazon.com/Folligen...y-Spray/dp/B0000YV5UA

Oh and Biotin is a shampoo right?
 08/03/2012 09:53 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: samiam

Unknown. If the only cause was excessive vitamin A then you should be able to regain most of it back but hard to say without looking at scalp and hair etc.

Id say cut down your vitamin A immediately, increase biotin and MSM. Apply some folligen spray to increase anagen phase and cause accelerated regrowth. Wouldnt hurt to nourish your hair and scalp using something like 100% emu oil. Hopefully this will be enough

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4345527

is this the biotin I need to get?
 08/03/2012 09:54 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: raptors

Is this the spray your talking about http://www.amazon.com/Folligen...y/dp/B0000YV5UA

Oh and Biotin is a shampoo right?
 08/03/2012 09:59 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: fuZe

Too much of anything will cause side effects , especially for someone around ur age. I wouldn't touch fin dut or minox yet.. Even the natural stuff might be dangerous when ur on growing phase, id recommend just keeping it short and take maybe hair multivitamin for now..

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133781

Is this hair vitamin good which one is the best, thanks for the help i really appreciate it since I was really worried about my hair
 08/03/2012 10:17 PM

Author Icon
samiam
Prolific Poster

calm down ! lol

Yes you can easily find folligen at many places perhaps some cheaper than others. Its manufactured by Skin Biology.

Biotin is also often in hair/nail supplements as well as some shampoos.

Id say go with a good hair supplement with high biotin 5000mcg and other good ingredients. Aim for atleast 3 ingredients biotin, silica and MSM others like copper, zinc etc are bonus.

This is the emu oil id recommend especially considering the price and quality (i have it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIA...es&hash=item2c604c0e4a
 08/04/2012 10:39 AM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: samiam

calm down ! lol

Yes you can easily find folligen at many places perhaps some cheaper than others. Its manufactured by Skin Biology.

Biotin is also often in hair/nail supplements as well as some shampoos.

Id say go with a good hair supplement with high biotin 5000mcg and other good ingredients. Aim for atleast 3 ingredients biotin, silica and MSM others like copper, zinc etc are bonus.

This is the emu oil id recommend especially considering the price and quality (i have it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIA...es&hash=item2c604c0e4a

Ya im trying to stay calm but i really want to keep my hair. So, I found a hair multivitamin but it only has 2,000mcg of biotin and it doesn't have MSM. But it does have copper, zinc, silicia. Would this hair multivitamin be okay or do i need more biotin. Could i get MSM separately and how much of it should i get?
 08/04/2012 10:46 AM

Author Icon
rollercoaster
Prolific Poster

you can try taking high doses of vitamin d and e ,they are deemed to counteract the toxicity from vitamin a.i started suffering hairfall shortly after accutane abuse -minoxidil looks to curb it faster than anything else for mine.
 08/04/2012 11:13 AM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

Originally posted by: rollercoaster

you can try taking high doses of vitamin d and e ,they are deemed to counteract the toxicity from vitamin a.i started suffering hairfall shortly after accutane abuse -minoxidil looks to curb it faster than anything else for mine.

Thanks for the info im definitely going to give that a try. Did all of your hair grow back after accutane and if it did how long did it take?
 08/04/2012 11:56 AM

Author Icon
rollercoaster
Prolific Poster

right now,what initially looked like just a side effect from accutane,has progressed into mpb, i can say it for sure as the pattern of diffuse thinning is exactly emulating my fathers although i am still in early stage, mind you i used minoxidil back in last october,not only it halted the shedding it also grew everything back-almost.
 08/04/2012 01:09 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

right now,what initially looked like just a side effect from accutane,has progressed into mpb, i can say it for sure as the pattern of diffuse thinning is exactly emulating my fathers although i am still in early stage, mind you i used minoxidil back in last october,not only it halted the shedding it also grew everything back-almost.

Where do you get minoxidil from is it a prescription drug? Should I just limit my vitamin A intake start using the oil and hair vitamins and just wait for a few months for it to grow and then try minoxidil after if my hair doesn't come back? Cause i dont know if my doctor would even give me the drug since im pretty young.
 08/04/2012 01:38 PM

Author Icon
rollercoaster
Prolific Poster

dont just limit -try stopping everything thats high with retinol if that is practical, before doing that you must first establish if vitamin a is not just an assumed culprit when the fault lies somwhere else,meanwhilt wait out 6 months before jumping on hairloss medication while using help from biotin,vitamin e and d3,
 08/04/2012 02:13 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

dont just limit -try stopping everything thats high with retinol if that is practical, before doing that you must first establish if vitamin a is not just an assumed culprit when the fault lies somwhere else,meanwhilt wait out 6 months before jumping on hairloss medication while using help from biotin,vitamin e and d3,

Yeah I'll try and go to the doctor to see whats up. Oh and about the retinol, I know milk, cheese and eggs have retinol in them but I don't think I can just stop eating them since I still need calcium. Right now I drink 3-5 glasses of milk a day, would it be okay if I started drinking 2-3 a day instead. And about the eggs could I maybe just eat egg whites instead so I don't get the retinol? And I eat a lot of salmon, chicken and steak that food shouldn't have retinol right because I read that you only get retinol from the iver of animals.
 08/04/2012 02:40 PM

Author Icon
rollercoaster
Prolific Poster

first just establish the cause,second dont worry too much wait it out and start using the suppliments i mentioned above they will help cancelling the vitamin a ill effects,
 08/04/2012 04:27 PM

Author Icon
raptors
Occasional Poster

first just establish the cause,second dont worry too much wait it out and start using the suppliments i mentioned above they will help cancelling the vitamin a ill effects,

K thanks for the help bro and about the minoxidil my mom actually has some and it says that it is 2 percent (I just found it randomly in the washroom lol), would that be good to use after I wait the 6 months and my hair doesn't come back.
Statistics
30802 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 10152 on 02/16/2012 at 11:47 AM.
There are currently 1145 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1153 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2012 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc