hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is Vitamin D androgenic?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2017 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2017 07:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ukw
Regular Poster

Many doctors prescribe Vitamin D supplementation and in today's world Vitamin D deficiency is common. My doctor told me to take 2000 IU of D "indefinitely" based on recent bloodwork.

But is D dangerous? Some studies suggest it "inhibits the de-activation of androgens" which means it's pro-androgenic. On bodybuilding and TRT forums Vit. D is all the rage along with zinc, which means it's the opposite for those of us worried about hair.

Is it wrong to object to the doctor's instruction -- a Vit. D level of, say, 25 or 30 may be low for the average Joe, but it's not so low as to risk an increase in androgens for someone obsessed with hair? Are doctors operating from a faulty premise they apply to everybody?
 08/10/2017 05:11 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Yes synthetic vitamin D is dangerous.

The Sun and foods are not but you can't really market or make money from the Sun or real food at least not outrageous sums. No need for appointments with the doctor either.

The Sun does raise testosterone levels and if the testicles are exposed based on a Boston Hospital study about 20 years ago they can triple. If you are looking to lower hormone levels then staying out of the Sun and avoiding foods high in vitamin D might work along with staying away from high cholesterol foods.............but I would not consider that to be healthy and for me health trumps hair. Depends on your preference.

If you do decide to use the Sun to raise vitamin D levels that not showering with soap immediately after makes sense or not showering at all even better. The process of making vitamin D starts on the surface of the skin.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/washing-away-vitamin-d/

The only other possibility I can think of is an obscure paper from 1937, a paper that continues to be ignored. The authors obtained surface oils from young men, sebum. In the first experiment, they irradiated the oils and in a second experiment irradiated the young men. They collected the sebum and showed that irradiated sebum cured rickets in rats (showing effective treatment of rachitic rats was the only way of measuring vitamin D activity in 1937). The authors concluded, "The evidence presented in the two groups of experiments indicates that washing the human skin by the usual methods removes vitamin D and its precursors from the outer layer of the skin."

Helmer AC, Jensen CH: Vitamin D precursors removed from the skin by washing. Studies Inst Divi Thomae 1937, 1:207-216.

Even more upsetting, they concluded, "There is definitive evidence that the secretions from the skin contains precursors of vitamin D, which after irradiation are to be reabsorbed by the body, and the removal of which tends to produce a dearth of the vitamin unless it be supplied in some other form." I could not see evidence that they supported this statement with their research. What they showed was simple.

Humans make some vitamin D on the surface of their skin, which water washes off. How much humans make on the surface and how much inside the skin, no one knows. However, the vitamin D levels of the African tribesmen support (but do not prove) the proposition that humans living in a natural state make a significant proportion of vitamin D on the surface of their skin for later absorption. Assuming the African hunter-gatherers do not take showers twice a day that so many cosmetically brainwashed Americans do, then simple water, especially soapy water, routinely washes off oils containing vitamin D in modern humans. This means we must add soap and frequent showering to the list of things that explain why modern vitamin D levels continue to decline, decade after decade.

-------------------------
Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.
 08/10/2017 07:40 PM

Author Icon
ukw
Regular Poster

Thanks. I thought my libido increased slightly after taking 2000 IU on a daily basis. That was the lowest dose available.

Some related studies

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...IsAuthenticated=false

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21154195

"the association between 25(OH)D and total and free testosterone is linear at lower levels of 25(OH)D (below approximately 75 - 85 nmol/l)"

"Compared to baseline values, a significant increase in total testosterone levels (from 10.7 ± 3.9 nmol/l to 13.4 ± 4.7 nmol/l; p < 0.001), bioactive testosterone (from 5.21 ± 1.87 nmol/l to 6.25 ± 2.01 nmol/l; p = 0.001), and free testosterone levels (from 0.222 ± 0.080 nmol/l to 0.267 ± 0.087 nmol/l; p = 0.001) were observed in the vitamin D supplemented group"

Edited: 08/10/2017 at 08:53 PM by ukw
 08/17/2017 09:46 PM

Author Icon
RMAN
Regular Poster

I have taken 5000 iu of vitamin d3 from a reputable brand for a couple of years and never experienced hair loss from it. As a matter of fact never noticed any benefits or side effects from it.

Rogaine Foam : 1x a day
Nizoral 1% Shampoo: Every 3 days
 08/19/2017 12:36 PM

Author Icon
rosariorose9
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: RMAN

I have taken 5000 iu of vitamin d3 from a reputable brand for a couple of years and never experienced hair loss from it. As a matter of fact never noticed any benefits or side effects from it.

Ditto on the dosage and the absence of sides.
 08/19/2017 07:57 PM

Author Icon
4myfuture
Accomplished Poster

Is this why I get so horny in the summer time? I thought it was just the heat..

Foam - 1x per day
 09/22/2017 12:34 PM

Author Icon
hairhope4ever
Regular Poster

As UKW mentioned, I too experienced an increase in libido after supplementing with vitamin D.

Happy Patient

Read about my positive hair transplant experiences here:
http://hairtransplanttestimonial.blogspot.com/
Statistics
36217 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 254 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 254 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc